Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A6
A6 no crank no start, car doesnt know its in park or neutral >

A6 no crank no start, car doesnt know its in park or neutral

Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.

A6 no crank no start, car doesnt know its in park or neutral

Old 02-01-2018, 01:31 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 no crank no start, car doesnt know its in park or neutral

Hi and thanks for reading my posting. My 2006 A6 3.2 Quattro has approximately 150k miles, after shutting the car off to pump gas, decided not to crank. Battery appeared strong but i tried jumping anyway.. but didnt work. I assumed it was the starter. When turning the key, I did'nt hear any clicking. So I took it to the dealer and they spent 2 hrs looking at it, and said they needed 4 more hrs. So i took the car back. I would think if your the dealer and u cant figure it out in 2 hrs or less, that the customer shouldnt have to pay for your inability to do your job efficiently. So, now i have the car back.. and there is a indicator that says Put the Car in Park or Neutral to start. This message wasnt there b4, until after they started mucking with it. The dealer said they ruled out the starter, ignition switch, and was fixated on the Tiptronics code that was present.. but my Tiptronic hasnt worked in 5 years.. and they saw those same codes the last time i had the car in for a problem. So they wasted most of their time replacing that F189 switch to no avail. Read several other posts.. havent seen any specific problem mentioning the car not knowing whether its in park.

Thanks in advance for your expertise and insight.

-E