AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   A6 OIL PRESSURE LIGHT TURNING ON, NO SYMPTOMS (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/a6-oil-pressure-light-turning-no-symptoms-93862/)

jeaudi 03-04-2008 08:02 PM

A6 OIL PRESSURE LIGHT TURNING ON, NO SYMPTOMS

I was wondering if any one on the forum would be able to help me, any input would be appreciated before I take the car into the VW or Audi dealership and have a hole in my pocket... I wasn not going to post and I tried searching the forum but I didn't find a problem that specificly related to mine.

During the pastweek or so, my oil pressure light (the flashing oil can) came on twice for 6-7 seconds with three beeps and then went away; however, during my last few drives, it turns on almost everytime and then after 6-7 seconds it turns off without coming back. It has turned on around 8 times total but does not stay on. It did turn on twice in one run once and stayed on for another.
Currently, I use the car only less than a mile a day and it hasnt turned on but I'm afraid to use it.

The car runs flawlessly and shows absolutely no sign, no noises, absolutely nothing... I always pump 91 octane and do full synthetic oil changes. The light turns on for no apparent reason...

What could it be? bad oil pressure sensor? bad oil pump? or something way more serious?[:@]

please let me know if any more info is needed...

Thank you

auditech79 03-04-2008 08:14 PM

RE: A6 OIL PRESSURE LIGHT TURNING ON, NO SYMPTOMS

Well it could be oil sludge from using low grade oil and changing it in-frequentely.
But the A6 engines aren't really affected by sludge all that much, its a higher probability that the oil pressure sender is malfunctioning. None the less, you shouldn't drive it until the oil pressure is checked.

jeaudi 03-04-2008 10:51 PM

Most shops should be able to check the oil pressure correct?
I will take it into a local garage because the only close dealership to me is for VWs and the Audi-exclusivedealer is not local.
They told me that they will charge $260 to just even look at it, maybe more if needed <-- that is worse than the Mercedes dealer

I hope it's just the oil pressure sender (fingers-crossed)
Thanks

justincredible 03-04-2008 11:12 PM

There is really no easy way to check and see if the car has good oil prussure or not. If the light keeps comming on that is not a good sign. I would check the vag then check the connections to the sending unit.

jeaudi 03-05-2008 12:23 AM

So vag would show the problem, at least if it is the sending unit, correct?
I will have to find a shop with vag... how about installing a temporary oil pressure gauge and then driving the car around to get readings? is that a good idea?
or just take it to have the oil pressure checked and use vag to find out if it is electrical?

thank you

auditech79 03-05-2008 01:02 AM

A vag com can't diagnose engine fluid pressure problems. Those are simple circuits that go directly to a warning light on the instrument cluster.
You have toget the pressure checked by a shop to eliminate that from the problems.

theperfecto1 03-05-2008 09:17 AM

I was having the same exact issues you are describing, with the Oil Light flashing. Once I got under the car I was actually leaking oil, and it turns out that my oil pan gasket has gone bad. I would get under the car and see if you are leaking any oil see if it might be something you can fix yourself before taking it to a shop.

NH_USA 03-05-2008 12:40 PM

This might be a stupid comment - Did you make sure the oil level was where it should be???

jeaudi 03-05-2008 06:26 PM

Thank you for all inputs... i will look to see if there is a leak but i am pretty sure there isn't....
and to NH_USA: no comment is stupid, I appreciate any help... yes i did check the oil level but i noticed that the dipstick is messed up and i should have replaced it long time ago... I hope no damage is done from so so low oil......

auditech79 03-05-2008 06:55 PM

Alright just to make sure we know what oil problem you have what color icon is it?

Yellow = Oil level problem

Red = Oil pressure problem