Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Rear Disc Brake Change-Now Rubbing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:25 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 Rear Disc Brake Change-Now Rubbing Noise

I changed the rear rotors and pads on a 2002 A6 Quattro 3.0L. I thought the job was straightforward, but when I went to drive the car, it felt like it was braking even when I step on the gas. The car will not move when I press it is Drive or Reverse unless I press hard on the gas. Even then I feel braking resistance. What did I do incorrectly? I followed the Youtube FCP Euro video. Any ideas to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM
RGT
1st Gear

did the piston rotate in smoothly? and when you placed the caliper and pads over the rotor was there clearance so the rotor would turn easy by hand? you cold have partially seized calipers that are not retracting properly...or maybe your emergency brake is keeping the brakes on?

Last edited by RGT; 04-23-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

I borrowed the rear caliper retraction tool that pushes and twists the piston back in. I barely got the piston enough for the caliper to fit. Should I take out and try retract some more? I took off the emergency brake but it does seem to be acting weird as sometimes I had to pull it hard and others not. I don't think I touched it but is it possible I screwed up something while was trying to take off the caliper bolts?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

Yes, try to turn in the piston some more. Also, be sure to place lube on the top of each pad where it moves along the caliper. Check to make sure you got the correct pads. If the rotor is worn the new pads might hang up on the ridge of the rotor.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear

Next time you have the rotors off and the car is in the air and level, pull the e brake and see if the shoes move. Release the e brake. Verify that the shoes have moved back.

I have an M6 that acts in the same manner in which you describe if the e brake is stuck on. Could be the issue here, and it's a quick check if you already have the rotors off, plus you said it's acted up on you before, so it's worth a shot.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

There are no shoes, just the rear pads. But yes, the cable can be hanging up placing continued pressure on the pads.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

I appreciate the advice. I put in new rotors as well. I will try to retract the piston some more. One side was more retracted the the other, but I was able to get the caliper on both. I was thinking that as long as the caliper fit over the pads, the piston would self adjust.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

I noticed that the lugs nuts got loose on both wheels after I had torqued them at 90 foot pounds. I had only tried to back the car from the garage into the driveway and back. I was thinking perhaps I had just put on the tires crooked so I just redid them. However I still have an issue from the get go. Once I put the car in drive or reverse, it feels like the parking brake in still on and brakes are on so I will to gas it a lot to move a little.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

Good to hear you didn't drive it around like that.

Do you have aftermarket wheels on your car?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

No I have stock wheels and tires. It is hard to put the tire on compared to Japanese cars that have studs I can hang on the wheel hub while I screw the lug nuts on. However I have a feeling I have to retract the piston all the wat to the bore rather than just good enough to get the caliper over the new pads.

Quick Reply: A6 Rear Disc Brake Change-Now Rubbing Noise