Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Default A6 reliability?

I'm looking at a 2000 with the 2.8 V6 Quattro with 65K miles for 9 grand.
The car was really well cared for. There are only three things that I could find wrong with the car...

Passenger front door power window doesnt work...owner says it is the retainer clip on the cable. Says that even if it is the motor it will cost only about 150.

Pixels on dash are going. Owner says this is common.

There is a slight noise from the front end that the owner says is driveline slop and you can either just live with it or there is an aftermarket brace that is about 400 dollars that will eliminate the slop.

It is a toss up between this car and a toyota camry or similar vintage/mileage.

The Audi is nice because of the luxury items and comfort...plus it is larger with more room and a huge trunk when compared to the camry. Plus more safety items and four wheel drive for better control in the constant downpours we have here in florida.

The biggest question I have is reliability. I dont want to find myself at the shop constantly replacing expensive items.

The previous owner replaced many items such as C.V. boots, PCM (controls tranny shifts), and timing belt....

How do these Audi's hold up? Engines and tranny's durable?
Is there anything else on this car I should be looking for? Any other problems?

Or,should I just go for the Toyota?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

pixels on the dash are common, however that price is not common, kinda pricey, you can find a cheaper one.

Forget about the seats those are also hit or miss, mine are fine, i've heard of peoples not working (check the fuse).

Reliability with the 2.8 is amazing, I have 145xxx miles no problems, talking with a guy who has 183XXX miles and he has no problems + he has engine upgrades so even while its working harder still no problems. It's not uncommon to get to 200000+ miles.
Shoot look in old threads there is a dude in here with 300K+ miles!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:29 AM
3rd Gear

Motor and tranny are reliable but their will be minor electrical and other issues popping up. Keep in mind, these are NOT cheap cars to maintain. Be sure to save about $150 a month to deal with the rainy days. $150 I am talking about is minimum.

But don't get me wrong. I wouldn't touch Camry with a 20 feet long pole. Once you get used to driving the Audi, you will really like it.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear

The "slop" in the front end is the control arms and/or tie rod ends going bad. The "brace" he mentions is also called "new control arms". Get the kit off of ebay for about $280. Do NOT "upgrade" to the S4 kit as the control ams don't fit.

You WILL find yourself constantly replacing parts, but not as bad as some German cars I have owned. However, the timing belt is done (check receipts to make SURE of this!!!), so that takes a major cost out for a few more years. Fix the front end and the window and you should be good to go for a while!

Bob