Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 in the shop*** UPDATED***: vibration/noise and mods...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear
Default A6 in the shop*** UPDATED***: vibration/noise and mods...

So my car is in the shop at GMP Performance for some work.
1- I have been feeling vibration in my steering wheel for a while only around 45-55 and mostly when coasting, slowing down and braking. It is not wheel related, it’s done it with three different sets of wheels (19 BB RSGT, 17 BBS RC and 18 Hartmann DTM, all well balanced). In addition, there has been a loud noise that seems to come from the steering column or somewhere behind the dash… Recently, a different noise also started and got worse in a hurry, kinda squeaky, springy… odd. It mostly happen when turning left whether at a standstill or driving (various speeds).
I am thinking it is the tie rod(ends), control arms bushings maybe… not steering rack. We’ll see.

2- My door blades need a little paint work.

3- FINALLY getting the tip chip from VAST (JOETM has been bugging me with that J ), Stage 3.

4- Might do pads…. HAWKS???? I want pads that are better than OEM but don’t want loud and dusty pads, don’t need track quality…

Next I am taking the Jeep to the shop, needs 4 tires, shocks and alignment so I figure I’ll lift that puppy while I am it for barely more and get bigger tire 33” maybe.. Problem is I really don’t know crap about upgrades for jeep, brands, quality, price… So it’ll be fun to pick the right stuff and find the best/cheapest shop locally…

So I’ll be Audi less until mid next week… L

Brice

Old 03-14-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 in the shop: vibration/noise and mods...

Brice can you let me know what the solution to the stearing problem turs out to be? I have the same problem on a 2000 2.7T. I am seding it to the shop thurusday next week and it would really help me hugely.What isthe milage on yourcar I am arround the75K mark?

Thanks
James

Old 03-14-2008, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

I am at 75k miles.
The guy said definitely tie rod and he'll continue looking...
Good things is warranty is paying so he cna go ahead and chnage whatever he wants!

MY chip went to VAST today

Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Brice, I have the same problem as well, once your done tell me what it was so I know what to have them do. Also let me know about the tip chip. Hope it goes well.

Also how hard is it to do your own suspension work. I plan on lowering it and from the looks of it you just loosen, remove, replace, tighten. Is there any specific torque on the bolts. Also are tie rods hard to DIY. I'm taking a mechanic class over the summer specific to suspension, but was wondeirng if anyone had any ideas.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear

right wheel bearing perhaps? worn brake pads with a warped rotor(s)? those are my guesses!

Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear

Everything if off the car it seems!
Brakes seem fime

Apparently he is changing tie rod ends, upper control arms for now.... he's still looking. and thye have my car fora few days anyway as they have to wait for VAST to return the TCU and for the shop to return the blades

Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

I have the same problem, I took it to a mechanic, and ge said take it to a dealer, he thinks its a drive axel, might be lightly bend, but his not shore.
I would like a answere to this.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear

not the axle.. He checked and said noise wouild be different and more consistent, increasing at higher speeds etc... different symptoms...
He found play in the upper control arms and tie rods...
Also sometimes accumulation of rust around the hub or behind the rotors cause vibration

Old 03-15-2008, 05:16 PM
2nd Gear

not the axle, would be different symptoms/noise.
I should get my car back mid week.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
2nd Gear

Parts ordered...tie rod ends from VAST. heard good things, supposedly stronger so we'll see

Quick Reply: A6 in the shop*** UPDATED***: vibration/noise and mods...