Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 trouble with daytime running lights - fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Default A6 trouble with daytime running lights - fog lights

Hi Guys

First post - just bought a 2001 Audi A6 2.7t 6/spd from the US, and importing it into Canada.

I've worked on lots of cars and bikes and driven lots of both... and so far I have to say love the car and its running well.

One thing I need to go to get past inspection is setup Daytime running lights - my research via forums and search shows this is done by bridging pin 1 and 8 in the headlight switch and that should take care of it.

However, Fuse #36 is supposed to be for fog lights, and when I pulled the fuse panel, there is not only no fuse in #36, but there is also no pins to accept a fuse (no connection or wires) connected behind. I pulled the fuse box out thinking maybe they were pushed through the other side somehow, but there is simply nothing there. It almost looks like they were not wired from the factory, although they are on the car and the connections are up front to plug in. I believe all A6's came with factory fogs, is this not the case?

I'm happy to jumper pins 1 and 8, but I'm concerned that there is no fuse or no wirirng there to do it.

The fog lights in this car have never worked, either...

Do you know if this is normal for there to be no fuse in #36? Will the fogs route power via another fuse??

I'm stuck.

Thanks

Tyler

Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 AM
2nd Gear

The easiest way to do that is to locate an ignition controlled fuse. Run a new wire from that to the fog lamps with an inline fuse, done deal.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:49 PM

Jack... you pretty much beat me to it.

Last night I just wired a wire to the back of the headlight switch on pin 8 (fogs) to ignition power with a 15A fuse, and they now come on with the key turned on in the ignition. I was on drugs and for some reason was looking at fuse position 35 which is an apparently vacant slot.

Hopefully this should satisfy the Canadian inspection for DRL's, I guess I will find out tomorrow

Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Default 2001 Allroad for inspection

Hi guys,
I have the same issue with my 2001 Allroad that i've just brought up from LA to Vancouver. I have a good idea of what I need to do to get the lights set up properly.

Where is the Pin 8 to ignition connection made? Is it behind the light control or do i need to remove panels to access it?

Cheers,
Dan

Old 05-03-2010, 07:24 PM

Sure, it works great. I originally had a 15 A fuse in line, and it kept blowing, I swapped it with a 25 A and no issues for months and months since then.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2746879

The reference numbers for the pins should be on the back of the light switch, to double check your key on (ignition) source be sure to use a multimeter or test light.

Good luck and FYI I did pass the vehicle inspection with these lights setup exactly as this.