AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   About to buy an 01 A6, have a couple ?'s (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/about-buy-01-a6-have-couple-s-58105/)

Redhero 03-21-2007 09:00 PM

About to buy an 01 A6, have a couple ?'s

Hey all. Im about to buy an 01 A6 2.7t quattro. I have a couple questions i hope you can help me with. First of all, are there any mechanical issues I may want to look into during a closer inspection?

Also, this car was previously a coorporate lease vehicle. Is that good or bad? I guess its probly hard to tell the type of people that may have been driving it but usually corporate lease vehicles are fairly well maintaned right?

The car is clean as hell, and drives like a dream (trading in a stiff mustang 00 GT conv.) i cant find anything wrong but the dealer is asking 12,999 for it at 101k miles. This seems to be 2-3k below KBB value so it has me a lil worried.
Anyone have experience with corporate lease vehicles before?

smtcapecod 03-21-2007 09:25 PM

RE: About to buy an 01 A6, have a couple ?'s

I'll take a crack at your questions-- my 2 cents for forum culture...each car I've owned I've tried to research through enthusiast sites..and once I've bought it, tried to respond to similar inquiries. So, you're at risk of less than expert advice, but its something to start with.
I ended up with an '02 4.2L with 102K miles for $11.6K from a new car dealership. That was with a rock solid two owner history of great maintenance, no prior bodywork/collision history and recent tbelt service. So don't be too put off by the price, sometimes they don't recognize the premium that the better powerplants can command, or they may just want to be rid of the car. A cruise of Ebay may reveal some cars with 2.7 and lower mileage going for less from dealerships, IMHO. I found mine through other online listings though.
If it's a corporate lease, you've got the prospect of non-owners driving it, perhaps without much care. But that's all conjecture. So try to get maintenance records from the prior owner. Failing that, see if an Audi dealership will run the VIN for dealer services that have been performed.
I'm not familiar with the 2.7T-specific issues. Listen closely to make sure the turbos sound healthy. Beware of any smoking during acceleration. Some of these A6s are prone to lazy driver's side power window motor. I know some of the turbos have some cam seal leaks or similar. Be sure to check for recent timing belt & water pump service, or else be ready to pony up a coule $K for it. Carfax is always a good investment in my opinion. I think their site has other guidance about corporate lease vehicles. Good luck!

Bravoo67 03-21-2007 10:20 PM

I think its too much for '01 car with this mileage. I paid "little" more and got '01 A6 4.2 with 60k on it in perfect condition

ppgoal 03-21-2007 11:29 PM

Lots of similar threads in this forum. Do a search. Biggest issue is whether it had a timing belt change WITH ALL THE AUXILIARY PIECES: tensioners, water pump, etc. The maintenance manual calls for this at 105k and everyone on this forum suggests 80-90k. Mine goes in next week at 94k. This service can cost $1000-1500 depending upon where performed.

Otherwise, if you can find a reputable independent repair shop that knows Audis, take it in for a complete inspection even though it costs you a few bucks. If they find anything, you can negotiate the dealer down and pay for the inspection or escape from a nasty future repair bill. Nothing is cheap on these cars, although they are not as repair-prone as rumored if you take care of them.