Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy an A6 but the engine is making an odd sound...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 AM
1st Gear
Default About to buy an A6 but the engine is making an odd sound...

Hello from the UK!
This is my first post, so treat me gently

I've put a deposit down on a used car. It's a 2005 A6 2.0i FSI T with 78,000 on the clock. It's in really great condition with a full Audi service history, and my wife and I really love it... and it's at a bargain price. (Well, I couldn't find any better deals on the web anywhere.)

But the problem is that when the engine starts and runs, there's a squealing / squeaking sound (when the car is stationary) that's quite audible when standing at the front of the car. Unfortunately I'm no car mechanic, but it sounds similar to a slipping fan belt, but... more steady and less high pitched.

The sound appears to be coming from the front of the engine.

I don't think the sound changes noticeably when revving the engine, but I couldn't hear it when standing at the driver's door prodding the throttle. (And I stupidly didn't get the salesman to do it for me)

I asked the dealers* selling it to me to fix it, or I wouldn't take the car. Well, they didn't fix it, so I didn't take it. I'm going back on Saturday to see if they've addressed it - but I'd like to go 'armed' with a list of things it could be, and how much they might cost if I were to have to fix it myself.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

* The dealership is a giant Used Car Supermarket. As far as I can tell they're quite reputable. For any UK guys, it's The Car Shop in Northampton.

Last edited by RostokMcSpoons; 01-21-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 AM

Does the sound change (get worse) when you turn the steering wheel?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

Unfortunately I don't know... I'm 30 miles away from the car at the moment...
do you suspect something in the power steering? (That sounds expensive, if it is )

Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 AM

Yes. I have a whine and it is for sure the power steering. I am waiting until the cold weather passes (its about -12C right now). Expensive yes. A new pump is like $400USD, all the hoses are $300-$400USD as well... That is why I am trying to diagnose my problem because I don't want to replace a part I do not need, but no one wants to help...

Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by s31523
Yes. I have a whine and it is for sure the power steering. I am waiting until the cold weather passes (its about -12C right now). Expensive yes. A new pump is like $400USD, all the hoses are $300-$400USD as well... That is why I am trying to diagnose my problem because I don't want to replace a part I do not need, but no one wants to help...
s31523 -- Be patient -- You just posted your question about power stearing today. We don't sit around our computers waiting to answer people's questions. I have found that for the most part the guys on this forum are very helpful and give great insight in most cases. sometimes they are direct or even blunt - but usually only when people deserve it.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear

Rostok -- It is hard to diagnose a noise on the internet. It would be helpful if you told us a bit more about the vehicle -such as year and motor...because there is a big difference between the motors.

It could be as simple as a serp belt slipping or as complicated as a bad waterpump. Then it might be somewhat normal. In any case -your doing the right thing by asking before buying.....

PS It is time for the TB to be replaced if it hasn't been done --expect to spend about $1500 US and have them do the waterpump, idlers, front seals, thermostat, etc while it's apart.

Last edited by NH_USA; 01-21-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Could also be the fan motor on the coolant system. They are known go make a lower pitched (vs belt squeek) squeel that is ussually most frequent at startup. Sometimes a little lubrication is all it needs. I would turn off the HVAC system completely and see if the noise goes down as the fan turns down. It is a good indicator. Your car isn't too old, so it is hard to say what the problem is. Good Luck

Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
Rostok -- It is hard to diagnose a noise on the internet. It would be helpful if you told us a bit more about the vahicle -such as year and motor...because of the things they have. For example - there is a big difference between the older 2.8 and newer turbo motors.

It could be as simple as a serp belt slipping or as complicated as a bad waterpump. Then it might be somewhat normal. In any case -your doing the right thing by asking before buying.....

PS It is time for the TB to be replaced if it hasn't been done --expect to spend about $1500 US and have them do the waterpump, idlers, front seals, thermostat, etc while it's apart.
Cheers NH, but I did mention it in my original post:

It's a 2005 A6 2.0i FSI T with 78,000 on the clock
So a petrol 2.0 turbo... 167bhp

I checked the service book, the cam belt for this engine should be done at 115,000 miles... so I've got 27k to before it needs doing, which ought to be 3-4 months after the point at which I want to sell it (2.5 years time)

I'm running to a tight-ish budget (aren't we all) so I don't want any big lumpy bills whilst I've got the car - though I acknowledge there's always the chance one will happen. I did spring for a two year warranty that covers the major components from failure.

What I'm therefore trying to avoid is the possibility that something is about to fail, and it'll either leave me stranded somewhere, or happen after the initial 3 month warranty from the dealers - at which point I'll be relying on the extra warranty I've bought actually covering the item (so, I need to know what it is so I can tell whether it's covered).

I absolutely agree that diagnosing the noise over the 'net is a very difficult...I really wish I could get a recording of it. We did try to let a friend (who currently has an A6) listen to it over a mobile phone, but I don't think the higher pitched noise came through - she 'could only hear the engine'.

The only other thing I can offer is that *my best guess* is the sound was coming from the front of the engine, where a part about the size and shape of an oil filter, but with cooling slots cut into it, is connected. At the front-center/right, as you look under the hood. (I'm trying to google a picture of this engine but I'm not having much luck). But I've been caught out before when identifying the exact source of weird noises is, so I can't be sure.
When I looked at it, the word 'alternator' sprung to mind, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to car engines, so I've no idea if this is possible :]

I guess what I'm after is a shortlist of symptoms and problems. I now know to try turning the steering whilst the car is idling to see if that changes the noise (in which case the power steering pump is probably at fault). If there are any widely known problems it might be, or tests I can try, I'd be really grateful!

Purple Frogs: thanks, that does sound like a good candidate! And not too tricky to get fixed either I'll suggest that to them, though I no longer have much faith in them to do anything about it :/ If I go back, and it's still making the noise... would it go away once the engine is warmed up?

Last edited by RostokMcSpoons; 01-21-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear

You are going to have to go back to the dealership to do some more diagnostics. Take a long screwdriver with you. Use it as a stethscope to try to identify the source of the noise. That's what the mechanic will do. It is probably an idler pulley gone dry. If you put the screwdriver onto the ataching bolt, you should hear it loud and clear.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 01-21-2009, 08:16 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry I missed the info about the motot and year -- must hav ebeen sleeping---

Quick Reply: About to buy an A6 but the engine is making an odd sound...