Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to pull trigger on 2001 A6, need advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:13 PM
1st Gear
Default About to pull trigger on 2001 A6, need advice please?

Hi,
I'm about to buy a 2001 A6 Quatro 2.7L twin turbo. I took it in for a buyers inspection, and it found a few things - nothing that is enoughby itselffor me to not want to get the otherwise very nice car, but added together I'm not quite so sure...Any opinions on how difficult these are to fix would be very much appreciated!

1) CEL lit - both rear O2 sensors limit attained. I assume these are easy enough to get at once I've got the car on ramps? Any thoughts on using cheapo generic ones for under $50 each from eBay rather than the extortionate OEM part? Also, the car is getting ~16mpg - how much difference are new O2 sensors likely to make?

2) A/C hardly works - plugged expansion valve. I've never done any work on A/C before - is this a difficult thing to fix myself?

3) Serpentine belt cracked. I think this requires taking most of the front off the car to get to it, right? Is tha as big a pain as it sounds?

4) Both front outer CV boots torn.Is there anything special about replacing these? Any special tools etc?

5) Right front output seal leaking. How big a job is is?

6) Cam chain tensioners leaking. I think this may be a big job, has anyone done this and can advise?

Many Thanks for any help you can give - I've had a search through the forums but can only find some of these.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: About to pull trigger on 2001 A6, need advice please?

o2 sensors will be fairlyeasy. I would not get universal ones because then you get into splicing and sodering wires. It will make the gas mileage improve slightly but nothing big.

Not sure about the expansion valve, never done one on that car. Serpentine belt isnt extrememly hard but is time consuming if you take the grill and what not off.

If you can just slap new CV boots on without having to rebuild the CV axle itself then it isnt too hard at all.

The Cam chain tensioners are hard if you have never done them before and can be frustrating. If the timing belt water pump hasnt been changed yet it is easy to do them when they are in there.

With all of the problems listed the price would have to be RIGHT. Put it this way, I paid less than $6k for a 2000 2.7t A6 with the 6 speed with 123k miles a few months back with it only needing CV boots and tires. I would say it would have to be really cheap to buy it because you are going to have to dump some money back in it right away.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 AM
2nd Gear

I second the "it would have to be really cheap" comment. It does not sound as if this car was taken care of and that spells even more expensive trouble down the road. Can you say "turbos"?

Bob

Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys - bear in mind that this stuff was discovered during a VERY thorough Buyers Inspection, and some things sound worse than they are - for example the cracked serpentine belt and the torn CV boots are "some cracking" and "minor tears". None of the leaks are dripping.

Car has done 68k, and I'm paying $9500.

The biggest concern I have is the A/C expansion valve, mainly because I've never done one before - I've rebuilt engines, but have no A/C (or Audi) experience.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 PM

At 68K has the TB service been done? If not, which it doesn't sound like, you can get the TB service, cam seals, serpentine, water pumpand misc. items done at most Indy's for about $2,000 or less. TB service is about $1,100 to $1,300 depending on the Indy, for under $2,000 you could probably get an Indy to do all the items for you and have a warrenty to boot.