Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

200 A6 start issue- new steering column needed??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 09:10 PM
1st Gear
Default 2005 A6 start issue- new steering column needed??

I've been searching for a definitive thread on resolving the issue of failure to start for a 2005 A6 or similar car in that age range. My 2005 Ab 3,2 with ~118,000 miles decided
it didn't want to start last week. Instrument panel lit up, MMI was active even the alarm system seems to work. Jumping battery not effective.

Car was towed to local Audi dealer who ultimately diagnosed issue as access start module issue and recommended replacing steering column for a phenomenal sum.

I've since read about the Access Start Authorization J518 Module being the cause of this issue however I've also read that this module is unavailable separately (or perhaps far too costly).

I've read multiple threads about changing several micro switches and a relay to solve this problem.

My question to those more knowledgeable regarding this issue is this. What is the most successful cure for this issue? I've read some threads amounting to voodoo and snake oil involving
twisting the steering wheel; stamping on the brake pedal and similar.

Is replacing the micro switches and relay the most cost effective, sure-fire way of repairing this issue? My alternatives are selling the car as is as a 'project' car or donating it- none of which I'm
too thrilled about as the car is in beautiful shape and has been a pleasant, comfortable car to drive in the 10 years I've owned it. Not really ready to let it go.; not like this. It has been years since I've worked
on anything like this but I'm willing to have a go if there's a even chance that it will be successful and resolve the issue.

Can anyone please point me to a step by step guide with parts references, things to look out for and any best practice tips on how to get this done? I've read that it's necessary to detach the base of the steering column (U joint?) which makes me a bit nervous but the replacing the components on the board I can do. Where is the best place to purchase the switches and relay that match the OEM parts?

And advice would be appreciated.

Jerry

Last edited by jcarducci; 06-02-2023 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Title error
Old 06-16-2023, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

Well I was able to come up with a viable solution to this problem. Wasn't nearly as difficult to resolve as I might have thought.

Jerry