AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Advice on dealer options on my 2009 A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/advice-dealer-options-my-2009-a6-130450/)

alstein 04-21-2009 10:15 AM

Advice on dealer options on my 2009 A6

Hi
I have just puchased a 2009 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro 'Premium". This is the first time I have ever chosen Audi. The lease on my 2007 BMW 530Xi is almost finished, and after test driving the A6, I decided to make the switch.

The car will be delivered in the next 10 days, and the dealer is offering me the following:

1) 3M Stone Chip protection for $449 cdn. They claim that it will protect the car against flying pebbles etc. However, I do notice the line created by the covering on the front hood, and it bothers me.If it really does what they say it does, perhaps it is worthwhile.

2) Perma-Plate, for the paint, leather and carpet. If I do all 3 they are asking 699.00 Cdn. For paint alone it is 329. It seems somewhat costly, and I was wondering if getting the car waxed periodically would accomplish the same thing.

I would appreciate any advice offered. Thanks.

gwos25 04-21-2009 10:48 AM

Where do you live and drive? I know in Alberta, Canada, the 3m stone chip protection is worth while as they use what seems like 3/4" crush rock on the roads in the winter time. You'll be hard pressed to find a daily driver without windsheild cracks and a whole mess of stone chips on bumper, hood, above windsheild, etc. I'd skip on the other BS Perma-Plate regardless of where you live and just keep your car clean and waxed :-)

alstein 04-21-2009 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by gwos25 (Post 1075908)
Where do you live and drive? I know in Alberta, Canada, the 3m stone chip protection is worth while as they use what seems like 3/4" crush rock on the roads in the winter time. You'll be hard pressed to find a daily driver without windsheild cracks and a whole mess of stone chips on bumper, hood, above windsheild, etc. I'd skip on the other BS Perma-Plate regardless of where you live and just keep your car clean and waxed :-)

Thanks for the information. I live in Montreal. It is less of a problem in the city, but we drive to New York and are planning to drive to Florida next winter. I was under the impression that the protection does not include the front windshield.

hxgaser 04-21-2009 11:54 AM

As for the perma plate, it is nice to have if your car is dark especially black.

ppgoal 04-21-2009 01:57 PM

Any bra, permanent or removable, will protect the front end from stone and rock salt chips. Does nothing for the windshield. Mine was pretty pockmarked at 37k when I bought the car and I opted for a Colgan removable bra. I touched up all the chips and it has protected the car, although there are some rub marks in a few places. I'm sure the raw front end would look a lot worse without a covering. I also suspect the line of the permanent stuff is less noticeable than my black bra.

As far as the other Perma Plate, I had a teflon treatment applied to my Crossfire by the dealer. Since then I have read that it does not really do much. I have always kept the car clean and waxed so it is in like-new condition, BUT I do not drive it in the winter, which you will do. Instead I would suggest a good carnuba based wax (Meguiars), their leather cleaner/treatment, and regular TLC.

alstein 04-21-2009 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by hxgaser (Post 1075953)
As for the perma plate, it is nice to have if your car is dark especially black.

thanks

alstein 04-21-2009 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ppgoal (Post 1076011)
Any bra, permanent or removable, will protect the front end from stone and rock salt chips. Does nothing for the windshield. Mine was pretty pockmarked at 37k when I bought the car and I opted for a Colgan removable bra. I touched up all the chips and it has protected the car, although there are some rub marks in a few places. I'm sure the raw front end would look a lot worse without a covering. I also suspect the line of the permanent stuff is less noticeable than my black bra.

As far as the other Perma Plate, I had a teflon treatment applied to my Crossfire by the dealer. Since then I have read that it does not really do much. I have always kept the car clean and waxed so it is in like-new condition, BUT I do not drive it in the winter, which you will do. Instead I would suggest a good carnuba based wax (Meguiars), their leather cleaner/treatment, and regular TLC.

Tnaks for the information. I think I will pass on their Perma-Plate offer.

oc_audica 04-21-2009 09:23 PM

have fun with that Supercharger!

alstein 04-22-2009 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by oc_audica (Post 1076256)
have fun with that Supercharger!

I will! When I test drove the car, I couldn't believe the acceleration on a car that size. Definitely a big difference from my BMW 530Xi.

the G man 04-23-2009 10:31 AM

I did a teflon based paint sealant from a local detailer, I believe it is called Simionize step 5, its the same stuff as Perma-Plate. It cost me a $100.