AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Airbag Light Still on after Airbag Control Module was Replaced (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/airbag-light-still-after-airbag-control-module-replaced-129309/)

pologoped2 04-05-2009 09:32 PM

Airbag Light Still on after Airbag Control Module was Replaced

I have just finished completing the replacement of my Airbag control module with a brand new one from the dealership ($755) to rid myself from the infamous 65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error. Upon putting everything back together and reconnecting the battery I started the car and the airbag light still remained on.

I then realized that I had to soft code the new module, so I took the soft code from the old module and entered it into the new module using a cable off of eBay and a shareware version of 409.1 Vagcom software.

Once I was done with this, the Airbag light remained on and the below fault codes were shown:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 959 655 F
Component and/or Version: Airbag Front+Kopf 2002
Software Coding: 00307
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
10 Faults Found:
01587 - Igniter 2 for Airbag: Drivers Side (N250)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
00590 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
32-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
01219 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
32-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
01220 - Rear Airbag Igniter: Passenger Side (N202)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
01578 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
31-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
01044 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
01591 - Indicator Lamp for Airbag Off: Drivers Side (K144)
31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
00656 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
36-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
01216 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
36-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
01228 - Airbag Cut-Off Switch for Passenger Side (E224)
30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent

I then tried entering the previous workshop code, but still the above errors were shown. In the Robert Bentley manual it states that after the replacement of this module if these DTC codes come up, you can clear them.

Has anyone ever experienced these fault codes after the replacement of the airbag control module and did clearing them fix the issue? Given the power of a Vagcom I am thinking about buying the full version and cable from Ross-tech so that I can attempt to clear the above codes. Do you think though that this is normal to see these DTC codes, given that it is a brand new module?

My concern is that the shareware version (with the eBay cable) might have messed something up when it soft coded it. Also, let me know if you think it is a problem to drive the Audi until the cable from Rosstech arrives.

2001 Audi A6 2.7T

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Matt

zippy_gg 04-05-2009 10:17 PM

I have the same error code you got with the original airbag module and found this vendor on eBay who can erase the code on your original module for $40 + shipping. He told me that there is a 50/50 chance that the code will come back due to poor connection within the Audi wiring harness.
Click here:
I will try him as soon as I can get my module removed.
I am also trying to have Ross re-register the software I paid for but that now shows as unregistered, which keeps me from performing a full scan and reset any fault my car may have.

nm3210 04-05-2009 10:29 PM

PM sent, please read and head my advice, then post back here.

pologoped2 04-06-2009 02:20 PM

zippy_gg,

Thank you for the response. From all of the mechanics I have spoken too they have informed me that the 65535 error code means that the module has an internal error and cannot be repaired (but needs to be replaced).

It is a lot of money to spend for a new one, but for the amount of work that was required to install the new module, I want to make sure it is going to work (so that I don't have to do it again).

Thanks,

Matt

Joel79 04-08-2009 02:05 PM

Yes code 65535 is very nasty,

This is a common issue on these VW/AUDI year 1999-2003 it is caused by bad hardware or wiring and usually when it is cold
or the battery is low or dead will cause this memory problem.
Also, some 3rd party VAG-COM tools can store this code
after scanning the system.

What happens is when the computer reads/writes data, the bits get flipped
and writes bad data. Then when it goes to read, it sees garbage data and
gives you that error.

Common solutions for this is to replace the module or have it reflashed.
The best guys to that is www.myairbags.com

If the problem comes back again, then it is best to check that all connections
are good and not rusted and then next step will be to replace the
module. If the problem continues, it is then best to change the wire harness.

pologoped2 04-10-2009 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Joel79 (Post 1070164)
Yes code 65535 is very nasty,

This is a common issue on these VW/AUDI year 1999-2003 it is caused by bad hardware or wiring and usually when it is cold
or the battery is low or dead will cause this memory problem.
Also, some 3rd party VAG-COM tools can store this code
after scanning the system.

What happens is when the computer reads/writes data, the bits get flipped
and writes bad data. Then when it goes to read, it sees garbage data and
gives you that error.

Common solutions for this is to replace the module or have it reflashed.
The best guys to that is www.myairbags.com

If the problem comes back again, then it is best to check that all connections
are good and not rusted and then next step will be to replace the
module. If the problem continues, it is then best to change the wire harness.

I received the cable from Ross-tech this evening and was able to logon and clear the 10 fault codes (listed previously), which in turn turned off the Airbag light. I have started and driven the Audi twice now and the light has remained off.

Assuming that the light will remain off, I believe what happened is that when I initially installed the Airbag control module it was not soft coded to my Audi so when I turned on the ignition for the first time (after the initial installation of the module) it threw these 10 fault codes and kept the airbag light on. After that, I soft coded the module with the Shareware version of Vag-Com but was unable to remove the previously generated faults (as it was only the shareware version). Upon receiving the official cable, I was able to remove the legacy fault codes and in turn clear the Airbag light.

I also believe that this is a design flaw in Audi's (as the 65535 error is so common) because of where the venting is placed for the heater. Most say that they receive this error when it is cold out, which is when most people utilize the heater. Well if you have a metal unit that is 10 degrees Fahrenheit and place the heater venting directly on top of that metal and have 80 degree heat pumping through that plastic molding, most likely condensation will occur, and in turn fry a circuit board that rests inside that metal module.

Thank you again for all of the responses and I will let you know if the light comes on again.

- Matt

mboclassic 07-28-2013 05:47 PM

Airbag light is on after a small accident.

I am not sure what code I am getting.
I have not scanned it yet.

But, my light is on after just a small accident.
Is there a manual way to pull the codes or reset the light?

I don't want to take it to the dealer, I know they will charge me a diagnostic fee and recommend to change at least a few parts.

I want to be ready when I go to the dealership.
So, I will not get ripped off.
Better yet, If I can do something myself that would be great.

Thank you