Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment and ABS and shimmying OH MY!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Default Alignment and ABS and shimmying OH MY!

My 99 A6 Avant Quattro has a bit of a personality disorder it seems. Since I purchased the car about a month and a half ago I have noticed that it seemed to pull a little bit to the right. No big deal, needs an alignment. Recently it started pulling harder and shimmys like its going out of style even when I let go of the steering wheel completely to see if its just me compensating for the alignment. Lately, its gotten worse. It seems as though its messing with the ABS system, as I have arrived upon through deductive reasoning. I dont think the ABS system likes the vibration.

I could be wrong, please enlighten me. I came from simpler domestic vehicles. When the ABS comes up the yellow ABS light stays solid and the red light labeled "BRAKE" flashes and beeps at me repeatedly about every ten seconds. After 5 minutes or so it stops and both lights stay solid. The brakes arent dragging and the parking brake is inactive. What could be the source of my woe fellow gearheads?

Old 05-03-2010, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Looty
What could be the source of my woe fellow gearheads?
Easy - Audi.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear

yup dat thers yur problem, yu drive one o' dem fancy imports. Last time I reken I likened a seein 4 rings 'gether was when me and ma 3 cousins all lassoooed ol' bettsie.

seriously though, it sounds like the abs module is going. Fairly common on these cars. Modulemasters.com is a popular choice for the repair.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 PM
3rd Gear

Easy Whitey -- I know your still in the hospital recovering from that nasty boom.

But your right - Easy answer - It's an Audi.

You don't tell us a lot about your vehicle such as mileage, options, motor, trans, all etc. and neglect to tell us if it is worse at certain speeds.

My guess is that your looking at a bunch of front end stuff. Probably a complete kit. The guy that sold it to you probably found out how much it was going to cost to fix and he bailed out.

If your eyeballs are vibrating you might be right, but you could just have two separate problems.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:26 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jhuffman
yup dat thers yur problem, yu drive one o' dem fancy imports. Last time I reken I likened a seein 4 rings 'gether was when me and ma 3 cousins all lassoooed ol' bettsie.
Huffy Are into the shine again? You all detailers certainly like that stuff.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM

You know I totally forgot to tell you guys that stuff. Its an Auto with tiptronic and 2.8 V6. It is worse at certain speeds. If im going slow it kind of feels like one of the tires is square or Im driving over a bumpy road. At 40 or so its not that bad and still kind of seems like a nice car. At 50-70 its a nightmare and anything over 70 is hard to say due to the fact that Im driving from St Pete to Tampa and it would be hard to tell over the hurricane that is my daily drive over the howard frankland.
The ABS is a non issue until I get on the interstate for anything longer than 5 minutes by the way. It never does this just putting around.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 AM
3rd Gear

Look at tire pressures, and balance first. You might have a bent rim. If the guys that do the balance are even half good they will tell you if a rim is bad.

My 97 Avant is tire pressure sensitive - the 16 inch Michelin's are worse that the 15 inch BF Goodrich's.