Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting ripped off on my servicing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Am I getting ripped off on my servicing?

Hi all, newbie to the forums. any help would be appreciated.

I own a 2001 audi a6 3.0. I was due servicing at 100k, but i guess i just avoided it and avoided until now. i'm at 130k and I think i better get it now before something serious happens.

anyways the breakdown i got estimated:

parts:
timing belt damper: $190
alternator, power steering and a/c compressor belt: $40
water pump: $260
timing belt kit: $215

labor: $600 (includes labor for the timing belt service, and for the 100k service)

not to mention the mechanic suggested that i also change my engine mounts because my engine was extremely loose at $244 for the parts, and $255 for the labor to remove and replace the left and right engine mounts.

=(. for the condition of my car, the price of the service and repairs is close to my threshold to sell my car instead of putting in the necessary repairs. any suggestions or advice? do these prices seem in line?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

first: Willkommen to the forums!

second: the 3.0 is pretty much the biggest PITA to work on.

third: whenever you take your car into the shop to be worked on you are obviously going to be paying certain "costs". Looking at what you have listed, labor costs seem very reasonable, quite low in my opinion, in fact. Parts costs, a bit on the high side probably due to markup, but not to the point where I would consider that you are getting gouged.

Can't hurt to get a second estimate from another shop but I think you will find that the estimate you currently have is quite reasonable for the services you need.

good luck

Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

if they are genuine audi parts, then the prices for the parts are good. make sure they change your cam seals.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 AM
2nd Gear

labor costs actually seem pretty reasonable. remember that audis aren't the cheapest car to have serviced, but even considering that, these prices are fair. parts maybe a little high, but not unreasonably soo

Old 03-11-2012, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

It is 2.8, not 3.0

Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bigdadi
It is 2.8, not 3.0
It matters not, the 2.8 is just as much a pain in the hind parts when it comes to this type of maintenance work as is the 3.0.

As others have said, the price for what your getting done seems more than reasonable.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
first: Willkommen to the forums!

second: the 3.0 is pretty much the biggest PITA to work on.

third: whenever you take your car into the shop to be worked on you are obviously going to be paying certain "costs". Looking at what you have listed, labor costs seem very reasonable, quite low in my opinion, in fact. Parts costs, a bit on the high side probably due to markup, but not to the point where I would consider that you are getting gouged.

Can't hurt to get a second estimate from another shop but I think you will find that the estimate you currently have is quite reasonable for the services you need.

good luck
thanks for the advice =). and yes you guys are correct, im a newb =X. my car is the 2.8. 3.0 engine didnt come out for my year.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:34 PM
3rd Gear

I had the TB replaced on my 2.7T and my daughter's 2003 A4 3.0 MT6 last February. Parts for both were around $400 (that included all the tensioners, fluid, belt, waterpump, t-stat). Labor on the 2.7T was 6 hours; for the 3.0 it was 7.5 hours. For parts, check blauparts or ecs tuning. I cannot comment on the engine mounts.

At 100k (or 130k) I would expect spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter. Your brake fluid should be flushed and replaced every 2 years regardless of mileage. And I believe in changing the differential and transfer case fluids every 60k.

If you have owned it for 2-3 years and not performed any of the regular maintenance, then you are facing a large bill to get it current. The 2.8L is a good engine and if the rest of the vehicle is solid, then $1500-2000 is the price of delayed maintenance.

You won't get much for an 11 year old car that desperately needs a TB. I don't know what you think you can replace it with that is cheap and won't need any work. I budget about $2k a year for basic maintenance and repairs on my 2.7T and it is still running relatively well at 204k. I figure the maintenance is a lot cheaper than a car payment.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

ecstuning has much better parts, even if they are aftermarket, they are a lot better than blauparts parts...

Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by badinstincts
ecstuning has much better parts, even if they are aftermarket, they are a lot better than blauparts parts...
Hmmm, that's kind of an unusual comment. I've been sold both aftermarket and OEM parts from both supplies; that and I've found their prices to be relatively similar (when shipping is taken into account). The thing is, there have been times when BLAUParts has had what I needed and ECS Tuning didn't and vice-versa. I shop both companies and am pleased with the products and service provided by both.

Quick Reply: Am I getting ripped off on my servicing?