Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Axle Question

Old 06-06-2006, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Another Axle Question

I need to replace the driver front axle and CV joint assembly (complete) on my wife's 2000 A-6 Audi.
The local repair shop claims they use rebuilt axles as NEW axles are not available. I tried to fidn new axles with CV joints attached on the internet and everything I found was rebuilt also. If the Audi dealer does the job, are they going to use rebuilt axles as well, or do they have NEW axles available on to them? I have been quoted a price of $700 as I do not have the required tools or manuals. (I was going to try to do it myself).
So, is it true that there are only rebuilt axles available, which if this is the case, why should I pay Audi twice what the local guy will charge me if they are both going to use a Rebuilt axle/CV joint unit?
Thank you in advance for any advice,
Kurt

Old 06-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Another Axle Question

what exactly is the problem??? split C/V boot simple job or just the C/V joint just as simple?? why do you need to change the whole Axel????

Old 06-06-2006, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

Avant 80,

You might recall a few days ago you and Dan 908 responded to my split CV boot and the gernal consensus seemed to be that once the boot is split, there is danger that the CV joint has been contaminated and the entire assembly with both inner and outer joints and boots should be replaced.
The boot split at one of the bellows all the way around, (60,000 miles on the car) and all the grease is inside the perimeter of the alloy wheel and the wheel well. Last year Audi replaced the passenger side for $657.00 with approximately 50,000 miles on the car. (Someone on this forum said they should last up to 120,000 miles. They didn't last)
The gar is garaged and one of 4 cars so it does not get severe use but I do not have the required tools or books to do the repair properly. Now if it were a 68 Corvette, no problem as I have all the books and tools for that.
So, I am trying to decide if the local shop with their REBUILT axle is going to do the same thing Audi will do, only Audi charges more.
I don't want to fix the boot today and repalce the CV joint in the next month or two becasue it might have gotten contaminated. That's my thinking, might not be valid but,,,

Kurt

Old 06-06-2006, 06:26 PM

believe me its only the C/V boot that needs replacing and a simple job, undo the hub nut and steering control arm so the wheel swivels freely the undo the lower suspension bolts to free the hub from its contact then the hub should be easily maneuverable so you can push out the drive shaft from the hub, next cut the old boot of and its fasteners and tap the C/V joint off (just like you did with your other motor) no special tools required just a mindful eye

Old 06-06-2006, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

Avant 80,
What size socket do I need for the hub bolt and also what is the torque value for reinstalling it?
I assume it must be torqued to a specific value such as 90 ft lbs or more.
What about all the grease that has come out of the CV joint? Doesn't that need to be replaced and what type of grease? Do you think the joint itself is still good. I do not know how long this boot has been torn but I do not hear a clicking noise yet from the CV joint and I assume that is good.
Appreciate your input,
Kurt

Old 06-11-2006, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear

The hub bolt should be a 17mm hex but it can also be a 14. The torque value is way up there, like 300 ft-lbs, but dont worry about it. Just get a decent sized half inch breaker bar and get it really tight. Once you get the joint off clean it really good and inspect it for damage. Check ***** and sockets for maring, discoloring and such. The amount of grease and dirt content of the grease will also be a good indicator of the likely hood of damage to the joint. If you see damage or dont feel confident in the joints longevity, now would be the time to replace it. The joint from audi is like 300 bucks and comes with everything you need including grease, boot, clamps, and clips.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for the input.
I ordered a boot kit and will try to replace it using the instructions here as soon as it arrives.
If I screw it up I will never hear the end of it since it is my wife's car.
Kurt

Old 06-11-2006, 02:02 PM

should you need any help the guys are here 24/7 because its an Audi world site with many very experienced techs to guide you

Old 06-11-2006, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

The biggest question I have is the torque of the bolts I must remove and reinstall.
I do not know how much to torque each one and would appreciate the torque values of any and all the bolts I must remove for this job.
I know the wheels are in the 80 foot lb range from my owner's manual but no idea as regards the center axle bolt or the ball joint , etc
Any help appreciated
Thank you

Old 06-11-2006, 02:16 PM

new nylock bolts should be fitted to tie rods/ball joints and set to 20lb/ft, the center hub bolt is the most important but I can only give you the torque in metric.

M14 bolt = 115 nm +180 degrees turn
M16 bolt = 190 nm +180 degree turn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Axle Question