Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another transmission problem!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:01 AM
Default Another transmission problem!!!

Hello guys,
I am a newbie here but i have been an audi fan and owner for a long time.
I currently own a 2000 4.2 A6 that has been running great until 3 days ago. Last week the infamous thud during slow acceleration occured and it only happened 2 days after that. Yetserday it happened again and 30 seconds after that my gear indicator lit up "PRND432" and the car launched with 3rd gear and reverse only. I did the reset thing this morning and it seems that the car is fine, can someone advise me about what might be wrong with my car. I scheduled a check up at the dealer's on wed but i want some info,
thanks

Old 09-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Another transmission problem!!!

The transmission went into limp mode, Possible causes are a bad valve body, fluid is dirty, transmission wiring harness is shorted, shifter solinoid is sticking, or the TCM is bad.
It really has to be diagnosed by someone with the correct scan tool equipment.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Default RE: Another transmission problem!!!

thank you for replying,
the scanner showed that there is a fault with the transmission so they suggested that an oil flush and a filter change is a must.
They did that and i picked up my car. After 20 min of smooth driving the hard thud came back and the transmission lights lit up. I took it back to the shop and they said that it might be the TCU or the valve body or the whole electrical circuit as you have mentioned. i dont think that it is the TCU since it drove extremely well after the reset when the car was cold,am i right??
My guess is one of the valves is shorting when the transmission heats up .
Is it a serious issue ???
Please inform me
thank you