Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED (vvme hid kit and fuse blowing)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED (vvme hid kit and fuse blowing)

[sm=helpout.gif]Okay so I bought the VVME 10000k hid kit for my A6... after instaliing the left side successfully, I went ahead and tried the right side and to my bad luck, it didn't ignite--nothing. After a few tries, I tried diagnosing the problem, I switched the ballasts and left side still worked---no ballast problems then I guess.
i took out the right bulb and the inside of the bulb, in the arc area, it is very clouded and yellow, is that normal?

Okay now the fuse problem: the right side low beamfuse blows instantly and now the halogen doesn't even work[sm=smiley11.gif]
I took out the left side fuse and tried and it still blows right at start...

Today: I tried the problem bulb andballast of the right in the left and itdoesn't work, neither the bulb or the ballast itself...

ANY SOLUTIONS for a n00b here? [sm=sigh.gif][sm=imsorry.gif]I tried searching and I haven't found the exact problem...

-Should i try a bigger fuse amp than 15?
-reverse the polarities of the "now failing" ballast?
-is the bulb bad?

THANKS, ANY help is great

Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED (vvme hid kit and fuse blowing)

A bigger fuse won't help, i would check the ground on the right side ballast. If its not grounded or you have a wire crossed then it will blow the fuse in an instant. I think it might have taken out the bulb too.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

[sm=thanx.gif]for replying
i checked the bulb in the morning andit isfine, i don't think they are crossed... the ground is secure andi didcheck to see if i haven't had ripped it when I was struggling to put the housing back on... sorry if i write too much but i want to be detailed so you can help.
but part of the the positive,the yellow wire, was stuck under the metal clip that holds the bulb in place, which i think wouldn't affect it.

i hope it isn't shorting out, i am freaking out...

i just want to fix the fuse problem first then worry about installing the xenon kit...

and a question on the side if you can help: is the yellowish cloud in the xenon bulb'sarc normal?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Site Moderator

A yellowish arc isn't good, have you tried using the right bulb on the left side yet? The bulb is capable of shorting a circuit as well.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

oh sorry if i wasn't specific... i took out the hid ballast and bulb from the right side and put the halogen back in it... my problem is that even the halogen isn't working b/c the fuse blows...
the problem started when the halogen was put back in... the fuseblew on the halogen the first timeafterabout 30 seconds of use and now it blows instantly.

i don't want to worry about the hid kit first, i just want to get the halogen working again then go on from there.

thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

A yellowish arc isn't good, have you tried using the right bulb on the left side yet? The bulb is capable of shorting a circuit as well.
yea but w/ its own ballastnot the left side ballast... and iposted my previous messagebefore i saw your new reply.
sorry

Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Site Moderator

Well you can't run a halogen bulb with a ballast, it would blow the bulb in 5 seconds flat.
Try this first, use the know good bulb (left side) and install it on the right side and see if that works, if it does you know the bulb is bad because you already tried swapping the ballast.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

hahaha no i didn't run the halogen with a ballast. i'm not that dumb LOL... that made me crack up, never thought that a halogen could even last witha ballast...

the halogen won't even work with stock wiring of the a6, if you know what I mean... the problem isn't just the hid kit anymore, i took both the bulb and the ballast out of the right side and just put the halogen back in.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Site Moderator

I would definately think you pinched a wire or something. So what i want you to do is this. Take all the VVME stuff out, take it back to completely stock with both halogens and see if any of the bulbs work. If the left side works and not the right side, swap the bulbs and make sure on the halogens aren't burnt out. If it just doesn't work on the right side at all then look for a pinched wire somewhere.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

okay that's good... thanks.
i know that the left side works but as i said before i think that the stock positive wire that connects directly to the H1 bulb was stuck under one of the 2metal clips that keep the bulb in place and it literally looks pinched but not disconnected, so now it isn't stuck anymore, should i give it a try or if not, how do i fix the pinch? it doesn't look bad, the wiring is intact.

and one more thing auditech79: i swapped the right side and left sideballasts one more time to be really sure and this time the right side ballast that used to work isn't working anymore.

thank you for helping me

Quick Reply: ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED (vvme hid kit and fuse blowing)