Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here with a flashed or chipped 2.8l?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Arrow Anyone here with a flashed or chipped 2.8l?

I was considering getting my ecu reprogrammed just to get a little more pep out of my 99 a6. But I'm skeptical about what kind of gains I would see, I can't imagine getting too much more out of a n/a engine. I was also worried about any downsides like fuel mileage or the driveline not holding up. I think I found a local spot that does it for $250 but I have to check my ecu# to see if its compatible.

So if anyone has experience I would appreciate the input.

P.S. I have searched around and see everyone getting flamed and being told not to bother. Thats not why i am here, I just want to hear from someone who HAS done it, not someone who didnt bother.

Last edited by Bklynrx7; 04-19-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear
Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the links, the Speed Tuning chip sounds great but Ill probably try out the GIAC reflash since there is an installer very close to me. Has anyone every heard of volo performance, I see there OBDII moduel on ebay but I am very suspicious.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

Try GIAC. Speedtuning did not work out for me.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 PM
1st Gear
Arrow

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Try GIAC. Speedtuning did not work out for me.
Yea, thats the route Ill probably end up going. The local shop quoted me at $375 including the labor, and its totally reversible and user managaable without any permenant modifcations. I already have a 7" laptop from tuning my other cars so I wont even waste the money for the flashloader. I probably wont get it for another month or so since Im taking care of some repairs right now but Ill be sure to give a review once I get it done. Maybe even a dyno comparison.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

You can tell the difference after you are chipped, trust me. It's no 50+ HP HOWEVER, the more aggressive feel of the car should put a nice smile on your face.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:29 AM
1st Gear

I am wondering however if I MUST get the TCU chip along with the ecu flash. I see a few people including oc audica (sig)that mention the flash but not the tip chip but then Ive seen others say that the tip-chip is necessary or the trans will have problems after the ecu flash.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

The result of any reflash - at least from a reputable company such as GIAC - should enhance, or sharpen throttle response. This is responsible for a good deal of the newly felt power, although it frees up power in the absolute sense as well, of course, by modifying timing and fuel curves.

As an aside, a flash such as this will actually increase gas mileage, in most cases. Win-win!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 PM
1st Gear
Arrow

Originally Posted by NuclearSymphony
The result of any reflash - at least from a reputable company such as GIAC - should enhance, or sharpen throttle response. This is responsible for a good deal of the newly felt power, although it frees up power in the absolute sense as well, of course, by modifying timing and fuel curves.

As an aside, a flash such as this will actually increase gas mileage, in most cases. Win-win!
Yea thats what i figured the flash does. I never tuned a piston engine before but I figured it just advanced the timing and leans the fuel a bit to get the extra power, but the resulting mileage and throttle response are the what Im really looking for.

On a side note I just put a bottle of Redline fuel system cleaner in my tank and the car runs much much much better. The annoying hesitations I had from a dead stop, and between 40-50mph are practically gone. I just hope the effects are permenant.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 AM
1st Gear

My Audi mechanic told me that flashing the chips would make a change, but over time I would loose it because the car is designed to adapt to the way I drive. So if I'm not continually stomping my foot into the gas, the car will "learn" that and change the way it shifts and the way the engine behaves.

Is this true?

Quick Reply: Anyone here with a flashed or chipped 2.8l?