Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Driver Door Window Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Default Rear Driver Door Window Won't Work

I have a 2001 A6. All of the windows work fine with the exception of the rear driver side window. It will not work using the switch on it's door nor will it work using the drivers door master switch. I have tested the switch on the rear driver's side door by switching it with the other rear door. The switch works fine when connected to that door so i know that the switch is good. I do not believe that it is the lockout switch on the master switch since the other rear door window works fine. I do not hear anything when the switch is toggled so i don't think that it is a linkage or jammed up problem. I'm stumped as to what to look at next. Could it be the master switch if just one door window is not working? Or should i look at the motor or wiring? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by kenyon; 08-05-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

get a meter and see if your getting power to the motor when you activate the switch .. fgo from their ..

Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Thanks. I will try that. Any other suggestions?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

that is the first and most important thing .. you need to know if your dealing with a motor or circuit or binding .. we wont teach you to swao parts..but how to troubleshoot. always half the problem . report back after your findings .. you may need a helper..

Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Default Troubleshooting play by play

Tested power to motor with test light. Motor getting power. Toggled switch. Plug pins responded to both up and down activation of switch. Removed motor and hooked it up to rear passenger door (working window in that door) to test motor. Motor works. Tested plug on good door and located three pins that were hot. Bad door only had two that were hot. Removed boot from wiring harness where it runs from the door to the body. Inspection revealed two broken wires and one very nearly broken wire. I believe i have found my problem.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 AM
1st Gear

great work ... a little bit of troubleshooting goes a lomg way !!!

congrats

Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

hey so i kind of have a same problem except it started like a month ago my rear passenger window decided to roll down on its own, and then i had to press the button on the master switch on the front driver door a few times and it worked, then few weeks later it did it again(when i was on a date ) but this site is was giving me **** and it would go up like 3/4 of the way and then roll down on its own, so i took it apart took out the motor and took out the cover to discover the the rod on which the motor spins had a signs of rust and was swollen(made loud noise going up and down) after i put everything back together and thought i fixed it, but unfortunately it did it again couple weeks later except this time the master switch on the front door would not work i could only use the switch on the passenger door but it would only work sometimes i would had to turn the car off and on for the motor to work, so my question is could it be the wiring or a sensor?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 AM
1st Gear

I think that is a very common problem for broken wires in the harness to stop the windows from working...nice troubleshooting to track it down!