Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi 2001 A6 2.7T turbo issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi 2001 A6 2.7T turbo issues

I have an 2001 Audi 2.7T. It has been leaking oil. I had the oil gasket replaced/fixed 2 months ago. The car was working fine but then the check oil light came on after driving for 3 weeks. The folks at the garage told me that turbo's eat up gas. They filled up the oil pan and asked me to bring the car back after 2 weeks - I noticed that that there was fresh oil drips on my garage floor. I took the car back and the oil was low which i knew. The garage did some looking around and told me that there is an internal and external leak in the Right turbo and the oil was dripping on the catalytic converter. Their recommendation is to replace both turbos. The cost is $6000. If I don't replace the turbo, then the converter maybe drenched with oil which will kill the converter.

My question to you all is: Is it an issue? if so how big of an issue? Can I drive the car and for how long? Is the cost quoted reasonable? I also need to have the oxygen sensors and the exhaust gas temp sensor replaced. The secondary air kombi valve bank had showed up last time sensor were checked but not this time. The total cost is close to $8000 to fix. Is it worth spending the money or should I get a new car? Note that I already have put in $1500 on the first oil leak issue.

If you think that I should spend the money, I need the part numbers for these items. What would be a good place to get them? If you are kind enough, please let me know what the part numbers are.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear

Jeesh, what a train wreck.

Do you mean turbos eat up gas or oil? They should not use oil. I don't use any between 8-9k mile changes. Will they use gas? -- hellya if you floor it all the time. What oil gasket -- the valve cover gasket on the top (which frequently leaks) or the oil pan gasket on the bottom??

When you accelerate hard, does you lose power? I've had a slight leak from one turbo for a couple years and basically it runs fine otherwise. Oil on the outside of the cats may smell bad, but I don't think it will ruin them. If I had to replace the stock turbos, I have seen costs in the range of $3-4,000. O2 sensors run about $125 each and there are four. Cannot comment on the other sensors.

Unless the car is otherwise in outstanding shape, I would be hard pressed to put $8k into a 12 year old A6. By the way, I have 204k miles on my '03 and I am unsure what to do when my turbos finally fail.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

ebay/ u can get the parts on ebay for way way way the hell less/ u could go with the type o n it k03 or upgrade to k04 / /the parts are way way way less than theyre trying to get/ / but dont be too cheap // / the labor is 20.5 hours for r and r on a pair of turbos and engine removal included/ hit me up w ???s liquidcourage49720@yahoo.com i can spend time and get u part numbers tomorrow possibly/ i have the exact car in my shop/ / we put 2 new turbos in / / one is junk on arrival / / my life ; ) / /

Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jandsauto
ebay/ u can get the parts on ebay for way way way the hell less/ u could go with the type o n it k03 or upgrade to k04 / /the parts are way way way less than theyre trying to get/ / but dont be too cheap // / the labor is 20.5 hours for r and r on a pair of turbos and engine removal included/ hit me up w ???s liquidcourage49720@yahoo.com i can spend time and get u part numbers tomorrow possibly/ i have the exact car in my shop/ / we put 2 new turbos in / / one is junk on arrival / / my life ; ) / /
Way less yes, but you know what they say you get what you pay for.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 AM
1st Gear

id look into bringing it into a different shop and seeing what they have to say. as ppgoal stated oil isnt going to do anything to cats, theyre just trying to get some extra cash out of you because you want them to do the 02 sensors. bring it around, see what others say. im sure someone else can help you alot more then those guys.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

First off, if they charged you $1500 for all the top end oil seals and didn't replace the two cam seals on the front of the engine they really ripped you off. My local dealer wouldn't even charge that much for all of the seals including removing the timing belt to get the two front ones. When they did it for me under the CPO, it was $850.

If you really want to know if your turbo(s) are using oil, pull the lower pressure hose that runs from the intercoolers to the black plastic pipes going to the throttle body. If any oil is getting past the internal seals of the turbos, it will pool in these rubber hoses as they are the low point of the system. If you have any more than 2 ounces in either hose, that turbo's seal is starting to let go.

As for pulling the engine and replacing turbos, a real set of KO3s should run you $1700 from ECS and I remember hearing that labor is around 20-24 hours. At $100 an hour, your around $4000.

This place is taking you for a ride. Find a better mechanic.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

I second (or fourth or fifth or whatever) the above - shops see an Audi drive in and they think 1) "he's loaded" and 2) "he doesn't have a clue". Find someone else.

Audis in our age range leak oil - get used to it or prepare to pay a lot to fix them all, or spend a lot of time replacing all the seals and gaskets yourself. The factory even has an oil use spec that says it's OK if the 2.7t uses a litre per 1000 miles (yes, you read that right - see http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2571830 ) and not all of that gets burned in the engine. As long as you're not getting any smoke out of the tailpipe, I wouldn't worry very much. Makes a mess on the garage floor, though (but my F250 pickup still leaks more...)
Jim