Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi a6 2.8v6 quattro avant whats the story morning glory ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Default audi a6 2.8v6 quattro avant whats the story morning glory ???

Have just bought an Audi 2.8 V6 Quattro Avant, it has done 133k when i bought it it sounded fine test drove ok (city streets), i drove it home (300 miles) oil temperature / water temperature stayed the same but i noticed that going up some hills for a 2.8 i thought it was struggling a bit + made the oil temperature rise just slightly when i put my foot hard down. Got it home thought i would do a service and while im at it check the compressions, the spark plug wells on 1,2,4 & 5 were sitting in quite a bit of oil after cleaning all the oil out i took out number 1 which seemed to have running well same with number 2 and three, 4 and 5 looked a bit ropey and number 6 was ok and all held the same compression of around 165 psi. why do you think the car is sluggish and getting oil into the spark plug wells ? would it be worth changing the PCV valve & the valve cover gaskets or does it sound like a rings problem ??

Old 11-01-2009, 05:37 PM
3rd Gear

As a 2.8 avant owner I can tell you one thing for sure, the 2.8 A6 is rather slow. Our cars weight as much as many car based SUV's. I don't know what year your car is, but if it is a 98+ then it's a C5 and they are giant pigs. They weight a lot and gulp gas.

Your valve cover gaskets are leaking causing the oil to fill the spark plug wells. Do replace the pvc hoses, check when the last timing belt service was done, change your transmission fluid, diff (all 3) fluids, replace your valve cover gaskets as well as the cam seals....I think that should do it for now.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your car

Old 11-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Hi Jeff, thanks for your reply the cam belt was done at 119k, other fluids im not sure, as of today the fuel gauge has decided to read empty and occasionally flicks to full and back down to empty again.. any ideas there ?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 PM
3rd Gear

fuel level sensor/sender. They are/were known to be flaky. Mine (knock on wood) have never gone bad so I don't know too much about them. Sent you a pm by the way.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 PM
4th Gear

When you pull the valve covers, make sure to clean the breather filters...

Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 AM
1st Gear
Default audi a6 2.8v6 quattro avant 2001

I recently purchased a Audi wagon, while driving in 97 degrees weather while humid and hot, my water temperture went passed the normal middle mark passing to the next line. All of a sudden it goes back to normal while still driving. This occurs with having and not having the AC ON. Has anyone dealt with the same issues before? Can anyone help me out, please?

Thanks,
AJDIAZ

Old 07-28-2010, 12:36 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AJDIAZ
I recently purchased a Audi wagon, while driving in 97 degrees weather while humid and hot, my water temperture went passed the normal middle mark passing to the next line. All of a sudden it goes back to normal while still driving. This occurs with having and not having the AC ON. Has anyone dealt with the same issues before? Can anyone help me out, please?

Thanks,
AJDIAZ
I would start your own tread.

Chances are, your engine fan is engaging once the engine temp rises and brings the temp back down.
Could be your coolant temperature sensor is going bad. When mine starting to act up, my coolant needle would wonder the gauge, up, then down, then slowly up, slowly down, then quiver...blah blah blah.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 AM
4th Gear

Or... your low on water, bad thermostat, failing water pump.... Get it looked at.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

It seems that i also need help starting my new tread! Lol im new in this forum, anyways i drove my car this morning for 1:30m and my temperture was normal and i had my ac on.

Btw thank you guys for all your help!!

Thanks
ajdiaz

Old 07-28-2010, 12:14 PM
4th Gear

Top of the page you will see this:

AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A6

Hit the Audi A6 link and it will take you to the Audi A6 forum.. when there, hit the Black Button in the Upper Left of the page that says "New Thread"

Quick Reply: audi a6 2.8v6 quattro avant whats the story morning glory ???