Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Exclamation Audi A6 trans problems

I bought an Audi A6 3.0 64700 miles from a non-Audi dealership. Took it for test drive, gas was empty so couldn't go too far. It drove fine so I moved forward. When requesting a carfax, I was handed a AutoCheck. I had never seen a report from AutoCheck and learned it was from the data given to me. I moved forward to sign off on the papers. With the purchase, I received a 1 month/ 1000 mile warranty (50/50).

**Kicker** As soon as I drove off the lot, on the way home, I stopped a gas station and filled $25 worth of gas. Started the car and got a "check engine" light. I called the dealership and took the car back same day. They gave me a loaner saying service is closed and it will be looked at tomorrow. Tomorrow came and I spoke to service, learned that the code was transmission related (not gas cap. After learning this, I pulled a CarFax report and found out this vehicle had been in 3 accident, minor one's. I ran the AutoCheck report, same on they ran, and learned that I was not given full report prior to purchase, part about accidents was witheld from me during the purchase. I went back spoke the GM of the place, he wants to fix the car but pay 50% of all cost as it states in the contract.

I have two options....

1. Go with the repairs and keep the car
OR
2. File a suit for consumer fraud

Is the car worth this much trouble?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Site Moderator

Thats a tough one, if the accidents were minor i would just have them fix the car, i bought my A4 and it had been in two previous small accidents, but i have no complaints. As long as the body of the car didn't warp then you should be fine.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:57 AM

I don't know how minor the accidents were but one was between another vehicle and a train. It had three accidents total and all caused damage to the front-right (passenger) side. The paint looks like rocks chipped it on that side. The car drove fine during my test drive. Everything else worked fine. If I was to get the car fixed, do I need to a "extended warranty"? I found a couple between $2900-3400 for 4yrs or 48k miles, while I paid $13000 for the car.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:11 AM
3rd Gear

I would take them to small claims court for the cost of the repairs. It is very cheap to file and you are out little if you lose.

What are the chances they didn't know about the transmission. I find it hard to believe they didn't have that light come on before. But maybe you are just that unlucky and they are truly honest.

I think they deserve a small claims court case filed against them simply for leaving out the entire report. That and then the check engine light seems too fishy to me.

Hope things get better.

Jeff

Old 09-21-2008, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

llib, what year is this car?
$13k for (what year?)

I have a 2001 a6 AT w/quattro, it had $76k miles on it and i paid $10,500

I got some money off his asking price because i knew the car would need a timing belt and water pump changed soon, and he hadn't done it.

My car when you stop suddenly, sometimes the back end 'kicks'. but i test drove a 2008 A6 and it did the same thing. apparently my mechanic said this is common for a6's, its some sort of programming into the transmission so you feel it change gears. i dont like it though.

ive sometimes stopped on an incline (mind you this only happens if youre going fast and suddenly stop) and the tranny was in REVERSE when i went to go ahead. i dont think thats right at all! it only happened once. but ive had it slip out of drive and into neutral a few times if you try and gun the accelerator suddenly after being stopped.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:09 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by cdaraghy
llib, what year is this car?
$13k for (what year?)

I have a 2001 a6 AT w/quattro, it had $76k miles on it and i paid $10,500

I got some money off his asking price because i knew the car would need a timing belt and water pump changed soon, and he hadn't done it.

My car when you stop suddenly, sometimes the back end 'kicks'. but i test drove a 2008 A6 and it did the same thing. apparently my mechanic said this is common for a6's, its some sort of programming into the transmission so you feel it change gears. i dont like it though.

ive sometimes stopped on an incline (mind you this only happens if youre going fast and suddenly stop) and the tranny was in REVERSE when i went to go ahead. i dont think thats right at all! it only happened once. but ive had it slip out of drive and into neutral a few times if you try and gun the accelerator suddenly after being stopped.

Hmm, never had a single one of those problems and my 2001 A6 2.8Q tip has 93k on it now. Ive have pushed it into neutral a few times by mistake thinking it was in tip mode when it wasnt but never doing that on its own. Ive stopped that car about as hard as it could be stopped, doing 85 and a light turned red, stopped smoothly and no backend kicks or tranny shifting. Thats really strange!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear

I'd suggest to reverse the deal and get your money back!

There are too many usual Audi problems, to get one with collision related on top of everything.