Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 Turbo Tranny Stuck on 3 or 4 Gear :( help

Old 05-31-2011, 12:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Limp mode

Hi,

I solved the following ;

Interior lights fluctuates when the driver side door open and Ignition ON
PROBLEM WAS >> A rusted Connector under the passenger side.. Solved
Now my dash shows door indicator open
-----------------
Air Bags indicator light ON;
Another connector connection broken due to rust..
-----------------

LIMP Mode is next to tackle..
I borrowed a Diagnostic tool.. Gave me the following error;

Error Code: P0884 TCM Power Input Signal Intermittent
Error Code: P0798 Pressure Control Solenoid C Electrical

I am still checking for any other rusted connections under the passenger side..

Tell me.. am I screwed with the transmission...
Sounds like a solenoid in the transmission..

Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

No I dont think you have a trans problem keep looking in the harness did you check the drivers side harness? I know you said no water got over there but you never know what may have happened in the past. Also did you check the harness where it goes across under the front seats there are some of those splices under there. I would also recomend getting a tube of dielectric grease and putting that in the plug that goes to the tcm you may have some corrosion going on at that connection.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Error code help

Hi,

I solved the following ;

Interior lights fluctuates when the driver side door open and Ignition ON
PROBLEM WAS >> A rusted Connector under the passenger side.. Solved
-----------------
Air Bags indicator light ON;
Another connector connection broken due to rust..
-----------------

LIMP Mode is next to tackle..
I borrowed a Diagnostic tool.. Gave me the following error;

Error Code: P0884 TCM Power Input Signal Intermittent
Error Code: P0798 Pressure Control Solenoid C Electrical

I am still checking for any other rusted connections under the passenger side..

Tell me.. am I screwed with the transmission...
Sounds like a solenoid in the transmission..

Maybe there is another faulty electrical line ..

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

this has been the best advice I have found through my hours of researching this problem. I've got a 98 a6 2.8l and a audi a6 4.2l in my garage both cars in safe mode because of water. off to pull out some seats now to check the wires.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jimmytool
this has been the best advice I have found through my hours of researching this problem. I've got a 98 a6 2.8l and a audi a6 4.2l in my garage both cars in safe mode because of water. off to pull out some seats now to check the wires.
Glad it helped I had many hours on my first flood car figuring this out! just be sure to pull the harness apart as some of the splices are pretty well hidden.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 AM
1st Gear
Wink TCM Audi 2006 Turbo 4B0 927 156 FE

The reason I did not buy the ross tech, becuase of the water issue cause by the a leak in the roof line.. Buying this device will be the last resort. It's a great tool, and will tell you if that component area is having issues.. It wont pin point the exact problem.. You still need some technical skills to resolve some complicated issues..

I ripped the wiring harness apart found many spliced lines damaged {rust}.. 2 weeks ago..

I am going to trace back every connection for continuity in the wire harness lines in the TCM Connector.. It's not that hard to do this, just takes time.. I fixed many prblems already.. Since I don't have electrical schematics. I will build my own block diagram.. I have used also fox tracers to trace difficult hard to find electrical lines. with 100% success.. Then I check for intermittent or broken lines by wiggling that line..

I know this from many years working in micro components, troubleshooting and programming, if POSITIVE or NEGATIVE lines are broken.. Your Unit of any Kind of equipment will look for another possible route to use the lines lost.. that's why you get the Fluctuation of power.

I also believe or maybe its a theory that the TCM computer is tied to the main computer.. Maybe it contains the ID of the vehicle programmed inside the memory chip or Checksum to authenticate itself.. If authentication fails, then the TCM remains on limp mode.. Audi wants $$$$ bucks for this type programming.. I am going to jtag it directly and read the dump memory and reprogram my new TCM unit..

I looked at many TCM's , For your info ... The components are all the same.. It's the programed info in the AMD AM29F400B Flash memory. It's unique to the vehicle...

Now I understand the Audi circuitry more.. I will destroy this problem soon or demolish this car... LOL

Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

I am not sure what you are getting at with your last post but here are some suggestions

I again ask the question did you replace your tcm with the identical part#? if not you are going to have issues and I can assure you you are not going to be able to reprogram that tcm without a dealer and they are not even going to attempt it if you do not have the correct tcm installed in the car. The tcm does communicate with the ecm but does not need any reprogramming so long as you replaced with identical part#s I know I have replaced them in two different c5 a6's and both have been working fine for the last two years.

As for the Ross Tech it is a great tool and the version you need is free all you have to do is purchase the cable and you are good to go. Having it makes this type of trouble shooting a whole lot easier beleive me I learned the hard way just trying to make it easier on you. being able to function different devices in the car through the vag-com makes life alot easier.

also it would be well worth your while to purchase a bently manual as they have a complete wiring diagram in them for less than $100 you will have both a manual and the vag-com and cable that is a cheap price to pay for what you are getting.

Last edited by padog; 06-02-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

Just ordered manual, works for both my cars, and I was told by o'reilys there were no repair manuals for the audi. That is usually the first thing I do when I purchase a vehicle. I am gathering that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some sort of scanning tool for theses vehicles, I would like one, but I dont know enough about them. I used one 6 years ago thats about it. Sounds like a vag com would be the best? Is that a brand or system?
Got a buddy comming over who has been helping me, nice challenge for us. Might as well keep posted, this all can turn up to be very useful for peeps

Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

what would be a good all round scan tool? I found one for 90 claims it will scan all cars at this website http://www.obdcom.com/?gclid=CIPn8KO1mKkCFRFoKgodxRksxg
I wanna get a good one, is Ross-tech the best for 200 or so more?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

the Ross-Tech is the best non official Audi scan tool for Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda vehicles. It is pretty much worthless for anything else.

any OBDII compliant scan tool will be able to pull the generic codes. just realize that there is a difference in being able to "scan for codes" and being able to monitor individual measuring blocks in real time reprogram many of the convenience features, reset SRI, clear codes, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi A6 Turbo Tranny Stuck on 3 or 4 Gear :( help