AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Audi A6 Turbo Tranny Stuck on 3 or 4 Gear :( help (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/audi-a6-turbo-tranny-stuck-3-4-gear-help-169323/)

gsm1999 05-22-2011 07:50 PM

Audi A6 Turbo Tranny Stuck on 3 or 4 Gear :( help

Hi,
Just to let everyone know.. I bought this car with prbs.. Thinking it would be small, but turned up to be big.. I repaired most of it. The only thing left is the Transmission.. We tested to make sure that the Tranny fluid was up to specs.. I replaced the TCM computer becuase there was a roof leak that filled up the floor with 5" water.. My TCM computer was destroyed.. I bought a new TCM Computer from ebay.. Now my car feels like it's stuck on 3rd or four gear.. I think it's stuck safe mode... Also dash displays no changes in gear.. ALL GEARS ARE HIGHLIGHTED..

Does anyone know what tool I can use to reset the transmission TCM?? I searched on ebay for a portable diagnostic computer, but there is too many.. Seller's don't know anything.. "K" or CAN ??

Also Reverse works perfect.. Has great pick up.. "D" like its on 3 or 4 gear very slow take off..

My car info;
2004 Audi A6 2.7 Quattro Turbo VIN: WAULD64B24N02XXXX?

Please can anyone help me or point me to the ebay item I need to buy...

FYI;
I fixed all oil leaks, No vacuum leaks, Fixed the Coolant leak {Auxiliary pump},
replaced the turbo clamps.. New Engine oil{Synthetic}, Transmission oil leveled as per specs}

02A6Beau 05-22-2011 09:27 PM

first, don't post your full VIN. apparently bad people can do bad things with that kind of information.

second, you are most definitely in limp mode. you need to hook up with someone that has a VAG-COM scanner to check your transmission module. Not sure how you verified that your transmission fluid level was OK without this seeing as how specs call for the fluid level to be measured at operating temperature.

you can try ebay for a vag-com cable. do a search and you can read up on the tons of information on this board about the vag-com.

good luck. let us know how it goes. feel free to ask more questions

gsm1999 05-22-2011 10:15 PM

tranny limp mode

Hi, thanks for the info..

I found a Diagnostic Scanner Super VAG K + CAN item 200608397392.

Why would it matter if i require K or CAN?
Ebay sellers cant make up their minds if their product work with my audi.
How would I find out what mine requires K or CAN..

Here is another Item number: 220783019907

Also I have to reset the airbags.. Weird thing is they are not deployed..

Once again thank you for helping me..

02A6Beau 05-23-2011 02:24 AM

K and CAN just refer to the protocols that the scanner uses to interface with the computer modules in the car. More modern cars use the CAN protocol. Not quite sure exactly how it all works and what year cars require which protocol.

looking at the ebay items that you listed, for the kind of money you are spending you should just go with the Ross-Tech vagcom cable and download VCDS to a laptop. Check out their website at ross-tech.com

you can sometimes find people selling theirs for cheap, and some other websites sell it for less than the list price. you can also use an "cheap" vagcom cable with the shareware version of VCDS but you won't have full functionality.

sometimes the airbag light comes on when you have a loose connection with some of the airbag/seatbelt/seat belt tensioners. there should be some threads around here that discuss it.

padog 05-24-2011 08:58 AM

+1 on the Rosstech vag-com and cable its the only diagnostic that will let you open the individual modules and see whats going on with the tcm. if you have no other choice I do know my Actron CP9580 scanner will read and reset codes on your car but gives little information about the code.

I have repaired two C5 A6's that have had the water damage inside and more than likely your problems stem from the wiring harness. If you pull the carpeting back along the door sills on both the drivers and passenger side front doors you will see the main wiring harness runs along this area then near the front of each front seat it splits with about half of it running under the front seats and the rest heading for the back of the car. You need to unwrap this harness completely and pull the wires apart from each other especially in the areas along the door sills, the kick panels and where the wires go under the front seats. the best way to do this is to remove the front seats and the door sill and footwell kick panel trim pieces so you have good access. What you are looking for is butt splices located inside of the wire harness they have several small gauge wires butt spliced with a rubber cap over them. When these cars flood the water gets inside of the rubber cap and is trapped there causing the butt connector to corrode. then the fine gauge wires start to come out causing all kinds of issues such as you are running into.
The majority of the problem splices will be found along the drivers and passenger doors and also in the harness under the front seat. repair them all while your in there because they will just give you problems down the road if you dont.

Solder the wires back together and shrink wrap them and you should be good to go. Did you check the interior control module for water damage also? its located under the drivers floor area in the same type of black box that the tcm is if it has water damage it can also cause the symptoms you are having.

Look me up if you have any questions.

gsm1999 05-25-2011 06:49 AM

TCM Audi 2006 Turbo 4B0 927 156 FE

I had a rear roof leak. There was a crack in the water lines... It filled the passenger side only with water. Driver side was clean and dry. I ended up removing the driver and passenger seats and pulled the carpet off to dry. My TCM module was completely destroyed, I ended up buying a 4B0 927 156 FE replacement module on ebay.. I cleaned the the plug completely..

On my dash, the gears are all highlighted red.

I was told to get the ross tech device, but I have been hesitant until I had more info.. I hate to spend $300 on a device then spend additional on another device..

padog 05-26-2011 08:30 AM

Ok even if it was just the passenger side you will have the problems with the splices in your harness they are in the harness along the door sill and under the passenger front seat. do a search of my posts and you will see I have helped others through these exact same symptoms that you are having. your trans is in limp mode and so long as you replaced your tcm with the exact same part number that was on your original tcm then this is where your issues lie. Your airbag light is also a good indicator that this is your problem also as some of the fine gauge wires that corrode off in these splices supply the power to the airbag circuit.

You do not need to purchase the ross - tech full version get the share ware version and the $10 ebay cable and it will do everything you need for this problem. the shareware version will also reset your airbag light once you get the wiring problems sorted out

I am not going to keep trying to convince you - take my input as you like but like I said do a search of my posts and you will see this is one area of these cars I have alot of experience with.

gsm1999 05-26-2011 11:21 AM

Thx

Hi, I do value your advise.. Believe me Thank you so much.. I have another question.. My auxiliary pump rusted and busted a leak.. I removed it and bypassed it.. Since I owned other Turbo Vehicles which did not have this option.. I thought it was not that that important and I was low on cash.. Did I make a mistake? I have no more coolant leak.. Thank god it was the pump and not the freeze plug..

Also if you don't mind, can u point me to the ebay item number that will reset the error code and air bags.. I will do this after I replace the Huge TCM connector and search for the faulty airbag wire.. I can't get a straight answer on the same product with different vendor.. some say yes and some say no.. I download VAG-CAN Commander 1.4 Full.. Don't know if it would work on this car..

What would be the use of pulling the Dealer code from any Vehicle?
Is it to reprogram something? Transponder? Reset the ECU? I am new to this...

Something I forgot to ask,, If I fix the issuses with the wiring and evrything is perfect, will it automatically get out of limp mode?

padog 05-27-2011 12:48 PM

My thought would be you are hurting your turbo life as that pump is meant to circulate coolant through the turbos on shutdown.

Here is a link to a cable on ebay you can probably find one on there even cheaper I just grabbed the first one that came up in my search just do a search for "vag com cable"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-K...motiveQ5fTools

use this type of cable with Ross-tech's share ware version and it will do everything you need to make your repairs.

once you find the issues and fix them you will need to use vag com to clear the codes in the trans module and the airbag circuit when you open up vag com you will see all the different modules listed.

gsm1999 05-27-2011 08:47 PM

This is my ODB connector 16 pins..

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 32827

2004 Audi A6 Turbo :)

Thank you