Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 Turbo Tranny Stuck on 3 or 4 Gear :( help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jimmytool
what would be a good all round scan tool? I found one for 90 claims it will scan all cars at this website http://www.obdcom.com/?gclid=CIPn8KO1mKkCFRFoKgodxRksxg
I wanna get a good one, is Ross-tech the best for 200 or so more?
Read through the previous posts in this thread you do not need the full version of Ross-Tech's vag-com you can use the free version and a ebay cable which I posted a link to in an earlier post in this thread. that combination will do everything you need to do and all you are out of pocket is for the cable. not all code readers will work with Audi my OTC mindreader will not yet my actron 9580 does so be carefull.

and as 02A6Beau says a reader will only read a code the vag-com will open individual modules and let you perform functions within them.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 PM
1st Gear
Default scan tool

sounds like I should go with the Ross-Tech, I have two Audi a6's the v6 and v8 both have high miles 165k and 224k, I might as well get savvy with this scan tool business, seeing as it is an essential these days to have one; if your going to work on your own vehicle. Suggestions for good place to buy?
Thanks much guys, now its off to the garage to tare into some more wire breaks under my carpet. I have been trying to squeeze under there without taking out the seats, I might just have to pull out the seats cause I'm finding to many corrosion spots to feel safe not looking all the way through thoroughly.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Water under the carpet

PASSENGER SIDE WATER..

Listen.. My advice.. Been there Done that..

Remove the carpet or leave the carpet lifted so it can dry properly.

Check all roof drains.. This will take time.. Use your water hose at low..
If you don't find any cracks on the rubber unions in the roof. Then move on
to the next prb..

There are welded seems with silicon under the air condition fan.. In the connecting metal frame panels.. I remove all the plastics below the front windshield. I allowed a steady flow of water until I found the problem.. I found 2 tiny tears in the seals allowing water from the windshield to drain into a crack allowing it to flow into the right passenger side..

I bought a black automotive silicone sealant which fixed the ripped seals..
I applied silicone on all the old seals...
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...=00-14904956-2

I am cutting all my spliced lines and soldering them..

Name:  2-2.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  14.8 KB
Name:  2011-06-03221255.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  30.8 KB
Name:  2011-05-30222033.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  46.3 KB
Name:  2011-05-30222003.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  49.9 KB
Name:  2011-05-30175706.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  51.9 KB

BTW: Thanks, everyone..

Last edited by gsm1999; 06-04-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Limp Mode reset procedure?

After checking every splice connection and re-soldered them. My car is still in limp mode..

ALL gears still highlighted on my dash..

Is there a reset limp mode procedure?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Default still stuck

btw thanks padog

I checked and repaired every spliced butt connected lines.. still stuck.. I am beginning to hate this car

I don't what else to do..

Last edited by gsm1999; 06-05-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Ground and Power to TCM

I checked the following on the TCM;

Check one line TCM power supply circuit has POWER when ignition is Off - OK

Checked 2 black lines the has power when ignition is ON - I guess it's the TCM power supply circuit -OK

Checked the Brown wires (ground) TCM power ground - OK

Old 07-08-2011, 03:50 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Transmission stuck in limp mode

You all may think I'm totally out of it but....
Got significant water in the front passenger foot well due to plugged drain holes under cowl. Happened a couple of times before I read in forum about clearing out the drain holes.
Had same issue...'98 A6 2.8L Quattro automatic...all gears highlighted in red, stuck in 4th gear and reverse worked. Called dealer and was told either needed new TCM or new tranny. Was going to cost several thousand $$.

Found a forum tip on Audi World that worked. This is no BS, this actually worked for me and to date...keep my fingers crossed, it is still working beautifully.

With car off, turn ignition switch until all dashlights on, do NOT start car, depress accelerator pedal to floor, hold, turn ignition off, let go accelerator pedal. Start car.

When I did this the transmission reset and car worked fine. About 3 weeks later it went back into limp mode and same remedy worked. That was over a year and a half ago and it has been driven daily and working fine since.

I asked my independant Audi mechanic about this and he'd never heard of it. So he sez, but if a guy, even an independant that you think is honest could make some big dough replacing modules or even trannies, would he tell you of the no money fix?

My advice, try it before you go further... it doesn't cost anything and it just might work for you like it did for me.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by twoaudis
You all may think I'm totally out of it but....
Got significant water in the front passenger foot well due to plugged drain holes under cowl. Happened a couple of times before I read in forum about clearing out the drain holes.
Had same issue...'98 A6 2.8L Quattro automatic...all gears highlighted in red, stuck in 4th gear and reverse worked. Called dealer and was told either needed new TCM or new tranny. Was going to cost several thousand $$.

Found a forum tip on Audi World that worked. This is no BS, this actually worked for me and to date...keep my fingers crossed, it is still working beautifully.

With car off, turn ignition switch until all dashlights on, do NOT start car, depress accelerator pedal to floor, hold, turn ignition off, let go accelerator pedal. Start car.

When I did this the transmission reset and car worked fine. About 3 weeks later it went back into limp mode and same remedy worked. That was over a year and a half ago and it has been driven daily and working fine since.

I asked my independant Audi mechanic about this and he'd never heard of it. So he sez, but if a guy, even an independant that you think is honest could make some big dough replacing modules or even trannies, would he tell you of the no money fix?

My advice, try it before you go further... it doesn't cost anything and it just might work for you like it did for me.
did it give any sort of verification that it had reset?