Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi pure protection (extended protection) - worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi pure protection (extended protection) - worth the money?

I have a 2005 Audi A6 (3.2Q) just off the warranty (at the end of Nov 2008). I love the car, yet it is somewhat unreliable, IMO. I have had a couple of repairs in the past while it was still under the warranty: 1) truck wouldn't latch and 2) false elec generator. I had my car towed to a dealer. According to them, they fixed it by upgrading the software.

Now I was offered by one of my local audi dealer with a audi extended vehicle protection. They quoted me $2184 for a platinum plan for another 4yr/48,000mi.

So far, the milage on my car is only 21,000mi. We are putting 5000-7000 miles annually.

Anyone has any experience with this extended protection plan? Does it worth the money?

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

You have a 1st year design Audi A6, I would think the warranty will be worth the money. Offer the dealer $2000, I bet he will take it.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear

Extended warranties could be very restrictive.

Look for EXCLUSIONS (not for the coverage).

Dealers sell you a product (not a service) of another company. (the usual case).

I have the feeling that the car warranties industry is getting very big lately - maybe due to the mortgage crunch?

A comprehensive questionnaire:

http://reviews.ebay.ca/9-Extended-Wa...GD:CAT:-1:LIST

Old 01-05-2009, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

It will be worth every penny for $2K if you ask me. Single visit to a dealer with shop rate of $140/hr can net $500 to 600 easily. If they lift a finger, it will cost you a couple of hundred. And further more, you are driving an AUDI after all... It WILL break down.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

Be aware that you are not buying an extended WARRANTY, you are buying a service contract and that is a different thing altogether.
Although you are buying it from an Audi dealer it is NOT an Audi service contract either, but rather a third party contract and the delaer is making a sale. As mentioned before look closely at the exclusions such as emission controls (meaning cats) and some electronics (such as ABS, etc...) as these exclusions are most likely the items that will break down and cost the most to replace.
Find out who the third party is and shop around as you can bypass the dealer's commission and get a better deal directly from the third party.
With that said this is a bit of a gamble since we are talking about a form of insurance. Does it make sense to spend $2,000 for something you may never need and save that money "in case" you may need it instead.
Think about how many more years will you keep the car, do you do any of the maintenance and repairs yourself, and put everything in the scale. Ultimately the decision is yours, so use your money wisely!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

The one that I was offered is from Fidelity warranty services. Here is the list of exclusions:
Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard transmission clutch components, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, shock absorbers, audio, security or other systems not factory installed.

Oh, there is a $100 deductible for each visit.

Early last week, I shopped around on the internet. One company/agency called and quoted me $3200 for almost the same coverage. What a pressure sale, and I am glad that I insisted on not giving them my credit card over the phone. Eventually they hanged up on me :-). That is why $2184 didn't sound too bad...

I am not a handy person. I can top off the windshield wash fluid, change wipers, spark plugs...but that's about it.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
2nd Gear

The coverage sounds like "power train coverage" (internally oil lubricated components- engine + transmission + differentials)
( no drive shafts)?

What are the general conditions? Requirements on the oil change? Every 4 months?

Recalls and TSB's are not covered? And damages caused by such failures?

Does it cover mechanical breakdowns only?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
The coverage sounds like "power train coverage" (internally oil lubricated components- engine + transmission + differentials)
( no drive shafts)?

The powertrain coverage actually covers only engine, transmission (exclude standard transmission clutch assemblies and all components), and die axle.

What are the general conditions? Requirements on the oil change? Every 4 months?

Recalls and TSB's are not covered? And damages caused by such failures?

Does it cover mechanical breakdowns only?
The powertrain coverage actually covers only engine, transmission (exclude standard transmission clutch assemblies and all components), and drive axle.

Between the powertrain and platium, there are sliver, gold, and gold plus plans. The one I am talking about is the platium plan.

I don't recall there is a mandate oil change every 4 mo. And I am not sure about TSB. But I listed the entire exclusion list on my last post.

Just off the phone with the dealer. They explained to me that standard transmission clutch components exclusion does not apply to my case, as I have a automatic and tiptronic transmission. Does it sound right?

There is more, they told me the service contract is by Audi, but administered by Fedelity warranty services. Has anyone heard of that?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
Extended warranties could be very restrictive.

Look for EXCLUSIONS (not for the coverage).

Dealers sell you a product (not a service) of another company. (the usual case).

I have the feeling that the car warranties industry is getting very big lately - maybe due to the mortgage crunch?

A comprehensive questionnaire:

http://reviews.ebay.ca/9-Extended-Wa...GD:CAT:-1:LIST
Thanks for the questionnaire. Very useful.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ningshen
Here is the list of exclusions:
Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard transmission clutch components, air bags, solar powered devices, hinges, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, trim, moldings, door handles, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, shock absorbers, audio, security or other systems not factory installed.
I was afraid the exhaust system would be excluded and the cats are known to go bad and cost a lot of money to replace, especially in California with all the emission controls regulations that virtually force you to bend over and buy Audi OEM parts.

Quick Reply: Audi pure protection (extended protection) - worth the money?