Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avant Roof Rack/bike rack Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Default Avant Roof Rack/bike rack Question

Hello Again!
I am close to purchasing another Audi A6 (I had an 02 Sedan-- great car). This is the 06 Avant wagon; I like the idea of having the cargo space and the roof rack (I often carry a road bike or very dirty mountain bike). Potential Problem: I've checked around, and none of the big "After Market" rack companies (Thule or Yakima) sell anything that will fit this rack, which is too bad; I have about $500 worth of Thule rack system gear). I called Yakima and Thule directly and struck out.

Does anyone know if the Audi brand proprietary cross bars and attachments are all that will work? Anyone have any experience with the Audi rack system, in particular the bike attachments? Thule's gear is BOMB proof, so this is a disappointment, and the roof rack is a key reason to go with the wagon. If anyone has any experience with it or suggestions, I'd appreciate it! Thank you!

Old 12-10-2006, 06:10 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Avant Roof Rack/bike rack Question

What are you talking about. Both Thule and Yakima will fit your Avant. with Thule its the 450. and with Yakima it is the Lowriders.

These were both taken after my triathlon in October.

And this is my classic rack picture with the blue steel and whitewater boat.

If you have any questions let me know and ill get everything from both Thule and Yakima listed for you for your car.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 AM

Colin519,

Hey, thanks for reply-- I appreciate it AND the pictures. Here's the problem: the roof rack on the 2006 is different than the one on your car (I can't tell what year it is). For some reason, on the 2006, Audi decided to attach the roof rail to the car along the ENTIRE length of the rail; there is no way to wrap anything or clamp anything around it. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea. I don't have any pics, but it might show up on the Audi Cars website. Even the guys at Yakima and Thule were stumped-- I really did call them and they tried to figure it out and after a few minutes of research told me they had nothing that would work.

Still-- I appreciate the photos and the reply and I'm impressed-- nice bike, nice boats; it looks like you have everything covered!

Now I'm wondering what year Audi changed the rack, and why the heck they would do that (unless it forces people like me to buy their own Audi rack system....)

Thanks again for taking the time to post the reply!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:22 PM

I am facing the same challenge owningan A6 avant 2007and trying to fit a Thule roof rack and fork mount bike carriers (2) that I already possess. I have resigned myself to purchasing the AUDI base rack however wonderingif the THULE fork mount carrier can fit on it?

Any other ideas or suggestions that others have had success with?

Thanks