Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Transmission????need help plz.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 PM
1st Gear
Default BAD Transmission????need help plz.

So here is the issue. 03 A6 2.7T 86,000 miles on it.
Lat May before my warranty ran out the dealer replaced the torque converter in my car along with some other parts (secondary air injection related). Ever since the car has been randomly dropping out of gear (seemed like when it was dropping down into second), generally while turning right at a low speed. Today I'm going home from work and it starts skipping and jumping around and a few seconds later nothing...seemed like it was in neutral. I pulled into a side street (in my subdivision already luckily) and the car stayed on but no gear would work, only the neutral effect. (Reverse worked). I turned it off and on a few times. The third time it came on ALL of the gear indicator light lit up and check engine came on. The car now moves when put into gear but barely any acceleration to it. I didn't attempt to drive it too much, pulled into the drive way and left it. Now what are the odds that I'll have to get a whole new tranny on there (I'm thinking pretty high). Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 AM
2nd Gear

You are in limp mode because your transmission has, basically, blown up. The odds of you needing a new transmission are as you have indicated. With your miles it is worth it to fix it.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Any chance that it could be a bad computer in the tranny...or solenoids need to be replaced? I guess thats just my wishful thinking...I would imagine price of transmission new or rebuilt is high, anyone know what the price of a new or rebuilt tranny for an Audi could be?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by nitrogen
Any chance that it could be a bad computer in the tranny...or solenoids need to be replaced? I guess thats just my wishful thinking...I would imagine price of transmission new or rebuilt is high, anyone know what the price of a new or rebuilt tranny for an Audi could be?
I just did one on an Allroad, New transmission...... Parts and labor was 6,500.00

Same thing as you.... 6 months ago a converter was replaced under warranty.... Now they have no reverse gear.

When the trans slips, you could work the fluid angle.... but when you loose gears, its generally an internal hydraulic failure.

My dealer doesn't authorize overhauling automatic transmission. I don't the if its the same for all dealers.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

If you could prove that the tranny was fine till they replaced the converter, you might make a case to ask for their help. Would seem they caused the erratic shifting after.

I am not up enough on these newer fangled Audis as to what is "limp mode". You had NO motion, then got SOME motion, enough to "limp" home.

Every time I have lost a tranny in older Audis or US cars, they quit, right now. Why it would be able to "limp" home, I don't understand. It will engage and drive slowly? That doesn't sound like correct hydraulic operation.

My A6 4 speed has lost 4th gear. Audi dealer tested, OK, I lost 4th gear, told me to run it, just don't have overdrive. Not going to hurt anything else. Runs better in 3 than it has since I bought it trying to run in 4, tho lesser gas mileage.

Beginning to suspect it is actually an electronic thing, but not enough data to prove that.

Cheers,

George

Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM

George, From my understanding of "limp mode" it is something electronic within the TCU that when it gets a fault or recognizes something has gone wrong then the TCU will put the car into safe mode or limp mode. I could be completely wrong, but that is what I gather from the situations!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 AM
3rd Gear

Man, you have my sympathy. But the more I read these, the more I am thankful that I have an MT6. Even though I replaced clutch and flywheel back around 80k miles, the stage 2 upgrade only cost me around $2300 at my indie shop. I thought that was a lot, but it's a boatload less than $6500.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

Thank you all for the posts. I'm in a situation where I don't know jack about these Audi transmissions so I'm in the process of looking for a decent trans shop for hopefully a rebuild. Luckily I work exactly a mile away from home so I have been walking (too bad it's been snowing like crazy in Metro Detroit). I used to have a Chrysler 300m and if I remember properly I read on the Chrysler forums about a guy who got stuck in limp mode and I guess he had his solenoids replaced fairly cheap. But once again, that was a Chrysler and a while ago. So for now I'm hoping to get this fixed for much less than $6500 (for that price I'll sell it for parts) and hopefully I don't get ripped off for the repair. I'm also writing a letter to Audi (wishful thinking again) since dealer told me that what they did should have nothing to do with trans failing. For now I'm pretty disappointed with Audi, 86k is not that much, all my American/Asian cars kept up much longer than that.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by nitrogen
Thank you all for the posts. I'm in a situation where I don't know jack about these Audi transmissions so I'm in the process of looking for a decent trans shop for hopefully a rebuild. Luckily I work exactly a mile away from home so I have been walking (too bad it's been snowing like crazy in Metro Detroit). I used to have a Chrysler 300m and if I remember properly I read on the Chrysler forums about a guy who got stuck in limp mode and I guess he had his solenoids replaced fairly cheap. But once again, that was a Chrysler and a while ago. So for now I'm hoping to get this fixed for much less than $6500 (for that price I'll sell it for parts) and hopefully I don't get ripped off for the repair. I'm also writing a letter to Audi (wishful thinking again) since dealer told me that what they did should have nothing to do with trans failing. For now I'm pretty disappointed with Audi, 86k is not that much, all my American/Asian cars kept up much longer than that.
i had a toyota that didn't leak oil until 160k......

i did a manual transmission on S5 with 4k miles on it. No first gear.

Go figure huh....

Goodluck

Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

CoBra,

Sorry for the delay, but I understand that "limp mode" makes the car drive slow.

OP said he had NO forward after several restarts, but DID have Reverse. My g'kid dropped the tranny on the 90 I gave him. HAD reverse, no forwards, and no limp.

For it to lose all forward motion sounds like a loss of hydraulic pressure due to a leak or an open valve, such as neutral. Why it will go to limp and allow you to creep home sounds like it is electronic.

I gotta get my disc to work so I can study on mine. Hell, I don't even know if the solenoids are inside or out.

Cheers,

George

Quick Reply: BAD Transmission????need help plz.