Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best timing belt instructions/kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 AM
1st Gear
Default best timing belt instructions/kit?

looking to do my timing belt...2000 2.8L. whats the best kit or they all pretty equal?

blauparts: looks pretty complete -1) has 4 bottles of coolant vs. 2 bottles like others. how much do you really need? and 2)what's all the extra stuff in the tool kit picture? others just have the cam locking tool.

ecs tuning: plus - you get to keep the cam locking tool? does this come with any instructions?

jh motorsports: plus - i like the idea of the dvd instruction video much better than pictures. anyone use this kit?

all kits around 400 bucks. i have the bentley manual already. what does everyone recommend?

Thanks for any info - jared

Old 10-19-2009, 02:30 AM
1st Gear

hmm well I just ordered the Blauparts kit and that kit comes with a lot of sh*t so thats probably the best bang for your buck. You can rent the special tools if you choose to but they're expensive! I'm not going to rent them myself. Hope it goes well

Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

well the deposit is pretty high, but its only 40 more bucks for the tool rental. figured it'd be worth the peace of mind. i'm thinking more in terms of which has best instructions.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 AM
2nd Gear

I used the blau parts kit, It was a good kit. ECS is a good company too I like the idea that you get to keep the tools. Trust me you'll be back in there and use them again.I would stick with either of them. Compare the parts in the kits make sure your getting everything. seals, tesioners, rollers, waterpump, thermostat, coolant. also valve cover gaskets, vacuum lines and radiator hoses while your all up and in there. That way you don't have to drain your coolant again and as soon as you touch those vac lines they break.

I think most use the blau parts kit.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

i did the valve cover gasket not too long ago....as for the vac lines and radiator hoses, are those just things i could get at autozone or wherever? will the guides tell you what to replace or do you just kinda replace anything you can get to while its open? i just wanna make sure i have EVERYTHING i need so i can finish in one/two days since i don't have a spare car.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 PM
3rd Gear

I liked the Blauparts kit. It had clear instructions and almost everything I needed.

I purchased the cam bar and crank locking pin from a company on Ebay so I did not have to be concerned about returning them.

The Blauparts tool rental includes the seal pullers etc. but I already have most of that stuff.

PS don't do short cuts --- Do it right (seals, water pump, T stat, etc.) so you don't have to go back in a few months to fix something wlse

Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

i think i'm going to get the ECS tuning plus kit, but without the tools cause i can rent them locally (yah force five auto!).
anyone know if the ECS kit comes with instructions? is there anything missing from it?

NH USA - do you recommend replacing the cam and crank seals even if they aren't leaking?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM
3rd Gear

I did mine because I wanted to play it safe. I probalbly didn't need to.