Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Mistake? Buying Used A6 without test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Big Mistake? Buying Used A6 without test drive?

OK, I have a huge dilemma. I want to become a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T driver like many of you. I found one on ebay motors, but the car is in a different state that is too far away for me to test drive it. It is being sold by a dealer, so the car may be certified pre-owned. If the car has 70K, and is certified pre-owned and I can get the limited warranty until some time in 2006 (first titled issued in Aug 2000), should I consider this? Also, should i be worried that there have been three owners? one leased for three years and drove 50K. the next person only owned the car for 3 months and then the last person owned it for a year and drove 16K. should i be worried about the timing belt breaking around the 70K mark? any other issues? thanks!

Old 12-05-2005, 06:21 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Big Mistake? Buying Used A6 without test drive?

Get it inspected by some sort of third party. 3 owners doesnt really mean much, especially if the car is certified. Audi certified doenst cover everything thou, so i would have the car inspected even if it is certified.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

But how could I do that without being in the seller's city? Should I ask him to take the car to a mechanic in the Illinois area? Any suggestions? Seems like there are a ton of Chicago area owners on this board.

And do any of you used Audi buyers think about what region you bought the car from? ie, does an Audi from the South last longer than one from the bitter cold of Chicago?

And do people still send a car to a mechanic before buying a used car from an official audi dealer? (seems kind of strange to do that, but maybe people do it....it's my first time buying a car.)

Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 12-05-2005, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Be careful about that inspection from ebay motors. I just checked it out.

The SGS Vehicle Inspection Report summarizes condition of vehicle as observed by the inspector at the time of inspection. Ordinary wear and tear and other external factors can change a vehicle's condition and SGS makes no representation about the condition of any vehicle on the date of purchase. The SGS inspection does not use computer or other mechanical diagnostic equipment and is not a substitute for an examination by a qualified mechanic at a properly equipped repair facility. SGS relies on the state registration found with the vehicle to identify the owner and verify the VIN, but does not verify the registration, check for liens against the vehicle or make any representation or warranty about the title of the vehicle.

ORIGINAL: purdaddy

eBay has links to services that will do 155-point inspections on just about any car just about anywhere for around $100. You setup the time with the seller and the inspection company sends out a mechanic/inspector to look the car over and take pictures and then they put it all into a report for you. It would be well worth it in my opinion. However, many eBay auto "dealers" have a lot of feedback you can peruse. That may give you an educated guess as to how well this seller does business and whether or not he's an honest enough seller (although with a dealer that's kind of an oxy-moron )

Good Luck!!! I'm in the same situation with a 2.7T I'm looking at (not the same one though....

Old 12-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 12-16-2005, 02:42 AM

I bought a 2000 A6 2.7T last month. It had 55,000 miles on it and I got it for about 14,500. I got it on the internet and drove 1400 miles back home. I've had pretty good luck with it. It wasn't certified, but I got a 3yr, 36000 mile warranty for $1200. I feel better about driving it. I guess you can never really tell. Good luck man, you will love the car if you get it.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:22 PM
1st Gear

OK. New update. I am considering a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T with 65K mi. After reading all the posts and wondering if the turbo will go out (there aren't any service records, but it is a lease), I have been trying to find an extended warranty that covers the biturbo engine in California. I know that warrantydirect is supposed to be an awesome provider, but they don't cover cars above 60K miles. Should I even consider a warranty if I know I only want the car for two years? The dealer said that if the turbo went out, I could still drive the car (ie, it would be like driving a 2.8L A6). Is that true?

Thanks in advance for any help. I wish I knew more about Audis.....

Old 01-11-2006, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

No, that is absolutely not true. The cars ECU is factory tuned for certain A/F ratios and also for compressed air. It will not run right (or at all) if the turbo(s) die.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

hey all i gotta say is dont buy the one in LA cuz im buyin that one. im not test drivin it but w/e i feel like it should be a good car. nirmally i wouldnt buy a car off ebay but 6 speed manual a6s r rare to find