Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing oil, no PCV? What's up with that?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 PM
BLS
1st Gear
Default Blowing oil, no PCV? What's up with that?

Hi, my daughter in laws car is a 1999 Audi Quattro Avant w/2.7 (or is it 2.8?) V6. It runs great but it's blowing oil out the filler cap pretty good. Fine, a bad PCV valve I thought. Doesn't seem to have one though. What's up with that? And if it doesn't have one... why would it be blowing oil out the filler cap? And what do I need to do to fix it? I'm kinda new to Audi's so any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 PM
3rd Gear

The car is 2.8 and it has one. Open the beauty covers and find the black plastic hose that runs from the front of the passenger side head, around the front and to the back of the driver side head. Then it goes to a valve under the throttle body. Be careful. Old pipe will disintegrate in a second.

FYI, the suction valve under the throttle body can be cleaned using a carb cleaner of sort. Or you can buy an updated one for pretty cheap. You should feel lucky that it is blowing out of the filler cap. Otherwise it will be blowing through valve cover gaskets and other seals, which are very common leaks.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 AM
BLS
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
The car is 2.8 and it has one. Open the beauty covers and find the black plastic hose that runs from the front of the passenger side head, around the front and to the back of the driver side head. Then it goes to a valve under the throttle body. Be careful. Old pipe will disintegrate in a second.

FYI, the suction valve under the throttle body can be cleaned using a carb cleaner of sort. Or you can buy an updated one for pretty cheap. You should feel lucky that it is blowing out of the filler cap. Otherwise it will be blowing through valve cover gaskets and other seals, which are very common leaks.
OK super, it's a 2.8 (said cc's on the engine tag. ) and it does have a pcv. Yeah I pulled those "beauty covers" off yesterday and looked around but wasn't sure so thought I'd better ask. Guess I'll try cleaning it first. Checked at the local parts stores but they don't have/can't get any pcv's for it (that's why I thought maybe it didn't have one) so... Oh and yeah, hope it doesn't leak at any of those other places. Hard to tell really. There's oil all over everything so I guess it's off to the car wash for it first. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Former Sponsor

That hose has the pcv valve in it as you know. It is 078-103-224-R and on our website for 78.00 plus about 8-10 dollars shipping. We can help with other parts too if needed. Let us know if you have any questions. Thank you, Jeff.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 PM
BLS
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser

Success! Thank you hxgaser. Used carb cleaner as you suggested. It put up a bit of a fight but I got it in the end. Hmmm, the "suction valve" is a horse of a different color isn't it!?! Well at least it is to me. No wonder I didn't recognize it! I do however like the design. Anyway, thanks again hxgaser. Couldn't have done it without you. Now I guess we'll see if it stops leaking oil. (fingers crossed)

Old 12-05-2011, 07:49 AM
BLS
1st Gear

Forgot to leave an update: Well, after fixing the suction valve, cleaning it and some miles I find that it is leaking out the valve covers and seals as feared. Oh well, that's life. Gonna let somebody else do it though. More then I care to tackle right now. Thanks to all for your input.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah that probably is a good idea. FYI, valve covers are pretty straight forward, but the front cam seals and the cam chain tensioner gaskets are not for the faint of heart. It will also come with a price tag to match.

If you are not sure about the timing belt, water pump and the related goodies, I would think this is a good opportunity to replace them all.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:31 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

^^^^^^
agreed. if you are going through all the trouble of doing the valve cover gaskets, it only makes sense to get everything else at the same time. However, expect to pay an exorbitant amount of money to have the work done at a shop. This would be the ONLY reason not to do it.

-good luck

Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 PM
BLS
1st Gear

hxgaser Yeah that probably is a good idea. FYI, valve covers are pretty straight forward, but the front cam seals and the cam chain tensioner gaskets are not for the faint of heart. It will also come with a price tag to match.

If you are not sure about the timing belt, water pump and the related goodies, I would think this is a good opportunity to replace them all.

02A6Beau agreed. if you are going through all the trouble of doing the valve cover gaskets, it only makes sense to get everything else at the same time. However, expect to pay an exorbitant amount of money to have the work done at a shop. This would be the ONLY reason not to do it.

-good luck

Hey thanks hxgaser and 02A6Beau. Appreciate it and agree totally. Git 'er done as I always say. Guess we'll see what happens when they see the price tag. Might end up doing it anyway. Ya know, it's family.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Guru

Depending on where you live, you might find soneone on here to do it cheap or "free". I'm on mobile so it doesnt show cities. But you might post up where you live

Quick Reply: Blowing oil, no PCV? What's up with that?