Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost PSI Problem or Dealership stupidity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Boost PSI Problem or Dealership stupidity?

A dealership told me that I needed a new Y boot (which combines the pressurized air from both turbo's before entering the engine block) on my 2.7T and that my check engine light was on because of this. I find this hard to believe, the car drives just as good as new and plenty of power. Also, the check engine light is off the majority of the time... I have revved the engine up to 4000 and listened as the blast of pressurized air released.... sounds fine to me, like an 18 wheeler letting out brake air....Wouldn't boost always be leaking if the Y boot was damaged? Shouldn't the check engine light always be on?

If I do need to replace this boot, the factory part is over $300, does anyone know of any good after market Y boot alternatives for the 2.7 Bi-Turbo?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:04 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Boost PSI Problem or Dealership stupidity?

The Y boot normally needs to be replaced just like your diverter valves after time of wear. I would replace it if the dealer stated that you needed to. The car may run strong and sound like it's not leaking, you wouldstill need to change it. That's why they're techs, it's not like they told you your turbos were bad or had to replace something that was uncommon. You can find the whole kit on samco's website but these are aftermarket silicone hoses, which are stronger and a higher in price. Sometimes you can find the Y boot on Ebay.
http://www.samcosport.com/us/home.asp

Old 08-25-2007, 02:00 PM
3rd Gear

I put Samco's on when I chipped my A6. No way they were $300. The GIAC + Bailey DVs + Samco TBB + installation was around $1100.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kkgghh345

A dealership told me that I needed a new Y boot (which combines the pressurized air from both turbo's before entering the engine block) on my 2.7T and that my check engine light was on because of this. I find this hard to believe, the car drives just as good as new and plenty of power. Also, the check engine light is off the majority of the time... I have revved the engine up to 4000 and listened as the blast of pressurized air released.... sounds fine to me, like an 18 wheeler letting out brake air....Wouldn't boost always be leaking if the Y boot was damaged? Shouldn't the check engine light always be on?

If I do need to replace this boot, the factory part is over $300, does anyone know of any good after market Y boot alternatives for the 2.7 Bi-Turbo?

Your saying it's normal for the car to sound like an 18 wheeler when it drives? If so I cant stand it. My car sounds like a truck when I drive (best desribed: sounds like an 18 wheeler when they are driving). I am considering purchasing a 4.2 just because of this abnoxious sound.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 AM
3rd Gear

No. Stock A6 2.7T is very quiet - other than a small amount of exhaust growl under hard acceleration. There should be no noticeable engine noise and certainly it should not sound like a truck engine braking. If you're hearing a lot of "air noise", then something is broken. From what I have read, the DVs and TBB are the first things to check.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:48 PM

The OEM throttle body boot at the bottom of this linked page is $15.57 and comes with the clamps.
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ategory=Intake
It takes about 20 minutes to replace, just follow the directions here: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng19.shtml

Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 PM

Is there any difference betweet the ECS Turing ( $15.57 ) and the Samco ( $67 )Throttle body boot beside what there made of?

Old 08-27-2007, 03:33 PM

The ECS boot is a factory Audi part, complete with the 4 ring logo & clamps. The SAMCO is reinforced silicone rubber and will handle higher boost pressures without tearing. If your car is chipped you are best off getting the SAMCO hose, although I have APR stage 1 and still run the ECS unit with no recent failure.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice. Apparently I didn't expalin myself well in the first statement... The sound that I was explaining was the release of the compressed air after a high rev in neutral..... I stated this because this as proof that there was not a boost leak. I am going to purchase a samco filter and will post of my experience once installed...

Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 PM
3rd Gear

There should be no noise when you let off the gas, you have DV's they do not make any kind of compressor sound. Some times, the TBB will leak only under boost, also look like it's fine. They do not last long, & any boost leak should be taken care of ASAP!

My guess is you also need to put in some DV's.

$300 for the boost & install is a total rip off, was that 2.5hrs of labor or something? It really takes 30min, & only a couple of real basic hand tools.

Both the TBB & DV"s are very common & prone failure parts.