Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an A6, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Default Buying an A6, need some advice.

I am looking at an 2003 A6 2.7T Quattro automatic with 63k miles on it.

Is there any advice you could give me about the car and what i might have to do to this car (maintanace or repairs coming up soon). I read about the water pump and timing belt and i will check it out at the dealer before i buy.

Other then that, what else do i have to look at down the road?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by stelth3d
I am looking at an 2003 A6 2.7T Quattro automatic with 63k miles on it.

Is there any advice you could give me about the car and what i might have to do to this car (maintanace or repairs coming up soon). I read about the water pump and timing belt and i will check it out at the dealer before i buy.

Other then that, what else do i have to look at down the road?

Thanks in advance.
63k miles isnt very much, if your lucky the tb and wp has already been changed but if not ull drop about 1500-2k on it if done by the deal within the near future. Other than that some comon fails are an ABS control module, causes an abs light with no abs, you can remove it, send it in and rebuilt for 50$ and install it yourself. I o2 sensors seem to go bad in the 90k mile area and up, i know i need to replace 1 here soon, other than that I'd ask the dealer for maintenance records to see if its been upkept and good to go. With 63k miles on it, you SHOULD have a good few years before you have any major trouble

Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 AM

Thanks, im going to the dealer today to look at the car and test drive it. I hope everything works out for me. I've wanted an Audi for some time, since 98. I will update if the deal goes though.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Don't do it

Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rodneylynn1977
Don't do it
Can you explain why?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:02 PM
2nd Gear

Private sale or CPO?
What do you know about the history of ownership?
What is the asking price?

Post here what are dealer's findings (mechanical inspection or safety only).

Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 PM
3rd Gear

Have the dealer run it up on a lift and check underneath for leaking shocks, etc. Especially check the back of the bellhousing for dried, crusty antifreeze -- a sign of a leaking auxiliary water pump. If it's a dealer, have him pull and provide the service records. Drive it to an Autozone and have them pull the codes if any and perform a battery and charging system test. Last, I always recommend a thorough inspection from an indie familiar with Audis. It may cost you a $100 but could save you a ton more.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

Good advice. We had our A6 inspected by the local VW/Audi shop before we bought it from a dealership and they found that it needed a timing belt, water pump, transmission seal, and valve cover/cam tensioner gaskets. That sure helped with the negotiating and it would have been really disappointing (and needless to say, expensive) to find out all that stuff after we bought it. Ask aroud a little bit and you should be able to find a good local shop to take a look at it.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
Private sale or CPO?
What do you know about the history of ownership?
What is the asking price?

Post here what are dealer's findings (mechanical inspection or safety only).
nemohm is right -- It is hard for us to answer your question without getting more info from you.

If your a take it to the dealer for all repairs guy the answer will be different than if your a DIY guy. The price also makes a big difference in the answer.

Personally - I would NEVER spend more than $5,000 for a 2003 unless it is perfect and come with a blond, but it all depends upon how much your willing to spend in the future and your automotive skill level. Used Audi's -even with low milage- are not for the faint of heart or uneducated.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

Sigh. . .

Some like to say that you should pay half of retail for anything.

Some like to say that you need a TB waaaaaaay before it is necessary.

The only things I'd be concerned about at this milieage are brakes and consistent oil changes. . . and don't let anyone BS you that it was changed every 3k. Audi didn't recommend it, and virtually nobody did it. The interval for the belt stands @ a touch over 100k, which is when, and only when, you need to do your water pump and pulley / tensioner. No point in tearing it open twice. Yeah, O2's go bad, but probably not for a while. Watch your exhaust gas temp sensor. Easy, but not cheap. But, in no way do they render the car a limper. Also don't get overquoted on a TB job. An indie should charge about a grand, depending on where you are. DON'T go to the dealer, if you can help it.

I would agree to take it to Autozone and have them run the scanner on it, but don't be scared off.

Quick Reply: Buying an A6, need some advice.