Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a a6 4.2 soon any advice??

Old 01-22-2008, 01:46 PM
1st Gear
Default buying a a6 4.2 soon any advice??

Hi guys,
obviously I'm new to the forum, and I hope to learn a lot from you guys.. I was in the market for a car and happened to come across an a6 4.2 at a local dealer. I've seen other audis around and thought they looked okay, but the 4.2 blew me away. it was the 1st 4.2 I had seen (or at least noticed) These cars look great and from what I've been reading offer excellent performance and comfort.. Long story short... I will be buying one in the next couple weeks. I'll be looking at 2000-2002 models. I would like to learn as much as possible about the differences between these years and also whatever advice you can offer. So far what I've learned is that if the mileage is over 75-80k try to find one that already has the TB done, I've also heard some vague comments about the tranny in the 4.2 was that a certain year or just in general? Also what are some of the best mods to get a little more out of the v8? I know the 2.7t would be the way to go for modding but I don't intend to do anything serious. I may just want to up the output a little in the future. What are the prices that accompany the mods as well? I know I have a lot of questions and a lot to learn, but thats the reason for the user ID...lol I really appreciate any help you guys can offer. I know newbie questions can get annoying from the mustang sites I've been a member of, but I'm just looking to make the best decision and get the most out of the new car. thanks

Old 01-22-2008, 08:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: buying a a6 4.2 soon any advice??

The 4.2 is bad A$$. but it deffinitly needs some help in the power department.

As for companys that make parts for performance. I after all my searching found only 1

VAST PERFORMANCE

this is kinda a good thing based off there performance credit with the 2.7T
Fastest ko3 car 12.2 1/4 mile
fastest full interior ko4 car 11.1 1/4 mile
fastest full interior GT28 car (134)

I called there last week and I am going in later this week for a ECU and TCU chip. They said they would put both the files in the car and let me try them before I buy them. That sounded like a no loose kinda situation for me so I took it.

I will post more after I go. But for now this is what I know they have for the 4.2

light weight pullies
electric fan kit (takes off the heavy fan from the front of the motor)
chip for the trans and ECU
cat back exhaust
Dp's for the 2001+ cars.....I guess the 2000 only have 2 cats 2000+ have 4
openelement kits
intake spacers ( cool down the intake temps )
02 sensors

There is probably more but this is just what I remember talking about

Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

It's good to hear there are a few small things to do... what kind of gains are you expecting with the computer upgrades..lmk

Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

i'm gona guestimate you'll gain about 50hp from all that. let me know, i'm curious how close i am to what they told you. and the 4.2 is a great motor, you just need to make sure it was taken care of properly by it's previous owner, so maintanence records are like gold. and you are correct, always check and see if the timing belt and all supporting stuff has been replaced, check the CV boots to see if they're cracked or cracking, and make sure that everything works smoothly, ie transmission, differentials, and CV joints. also it'd be a good idea to have someone scan it with a vag com tool, be it someone you know that has one or the audi dealership, just to see if any of the individual modules are throwing any DTCs. last thing i can thing of is kinda obvious, but make sure there isn't any leaks and that the tires aren't wearing extremely funny. you might also want to run a carfax on it and make sure it hasn't been in any accidents or floods or anything like that. if you'd like to bump the power up just a bit, i'd def go with VAST. they'll custom write the program for your car, and like said above, they'll let you try it out before you have to buy it, so if you want something changed, you just tell them and they'll custom tune it to your liking. you should really talk to this guy, Baskin4.2L, he'll be on sooner or later, but he's worked with VAST quite a bit from what i've deduced from talking with him. he's running the S8 motor in a c5 a6 with a manual 6 speed a whole ton of other stuff. that guy will def be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 AM
1st Gear

I apprciate the info, I'm leaning towards one I found at a dealership not far from me, It's a large reputable dealership that put it through they're "certification process" where anything they deem to have more than 50% wear supposedly gets replaced. They have provided reciepts from the previous owner that show the TB, waterpump, etc were replaced nov. 07 @ 71k, and the dealership has already done brakes all the way around.. The one thing that I'm on the fence about is it looks like the valve cover gasket on the drivers side may be leaking just a tad. If you look between the engine and the heat shield it looks kinda damp right along the gasket. but the dealershipsays theywill fix any problems before delivery. plus buying fromthem they have to give me a 60 day/ 3k warranty.. it's not much but it gives me little time something.
hey mustang: I like the sig, I just sold a high11 second 96 cobra a couple months ago.. I'm gonna mis the strip =)... I'm hoping to get a fox coupe to build a strip car in the future

Old 01-23-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear

also I forgot the car is an 01 w/ 74k

Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 AM
1st Gear

definitely sounds like it's a pretty good buy then if they're going to take care of you. it's good that the TB and everything's been done already. a valve cover gasket leaking a little bit isn't a huge huge deal, but i'd def seeif you could get them to replace it for free, so def point that out to them. that's cool that you had a '96 cobra, i'm starting to feel more at home now now that some of the other mustang guys are coming out of the woodwork!you should def build a nice beefy notchback, that'd be a great car to stuff a huge motor in.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the kind words mustang196718 but I have more money than knowledge.

I have worked with the fells at Vast with both my car and some of my friends cars (I help my friends but when I get stuck straight to VAST)

I know they have all the above parts and some more for the V8. It is tough because I know those guys and they don't like talking about parts until they completely test them. When I say test I don't mean for like 10 min. They test stuff for months before they even think about selling the stuff. I always have the inside scoop on what they are working on but I am always told to not say anything. They don't like letting the customers down. by getting you all excited and then telling you it will be ready in 2 weeks..and then 2 more weeks....and then have stuff drag on for months.

I would not know for sure on the Hp #'s but I know just the TCU alone completely changes the car add the ECU and you have a nice performing car on your hands. One of my friends with a 4.2 was a test customer for them and the chip's definitely transformed his car.

I bought my car after loosing a race to one of the owners. I was in my M5 he (vast) was in his A6 4.2l with the S8 motor and 6 speed. After the race I went and purchased the same car and had them help me transform it into close to what they had done. I do a lot of the work my self but some stuff like that is just too far out of my reach.

Check out the link in my sig you can see my can in action. Driving buy kurt from vast. We were racing a built B6 S4 to compare to