Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Guide Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Default Buying Guide Help

Hey everyone. Well I have recently found a 2000 audi A6 Quattro w/2.8L engine for sale with 140,000 miles. Its not in bad shape for being almost 10 years old. The clear coat is peeling in some places (not something I worry about) and according to the owner needs a new o2 sensor and the upper ball joints need replacing.

I have worked on cars my whole 19 years of my life pretty much, and wouldn't have a second thought diving into serious engine work even though I've only worked on domestic cars (mainly Chevy), so the sensor and ball joints is no problem for me to fix, as is most everything else on the car lol.

But I was wondering what I should look for that would tip me off that the car is not worth buying?

BTW, he wants $4000.
heres a link http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/1243191731.html

Thanks guys

Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 AM
3rd Gear

1) If you can, GO and TEST-DRIVE it before you invest money in it.
2) If the tires wear out fast, than it may have more problems than just ball joints (tie rods; control arms)
3) Look for leaks under the car; look for leaks in the engine bay (behind the camshaft sprockets; in the back of the T-stat housing - Valley pan; behind the crankshaft pulley)
Is the engine bay clean? - Was well taken care for.
Is the engine bay dirty, greasy, oily? - Hmmmm...leaks, leaks, leaks and no love from the owner
4) RECORDS - Timing belt replacement? Water Pump? Thermostat?
5) Is the car bouncing more than necessary after running over a bump? It needs new struts/shocks
6) Pull the dipstick - how's the oil looking?
7) If you worked on cars for 19 years, probably you know the drill better than me or others around and you don't need advice.

*) I would personally stay away from Craiglist stuff, but maybe I'm just paranoid regarding the Buyer Protection.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the answer chefro. Yeah your right about knowing the drill well enough, I was mainly looking for stuff like your #3 and #4 regarding Audi specific problems. I've done some more research and now know that the seals behind the camshaft sprockets are something to look for. I'm going to go take a look at it again either tomarrow or Friday to give the car a good look over, as the first time I saw it I was in a bit of the rush and didn't have time to thoroughly go over it.