Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft position sensor and brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Camshaft position sensor and brake

Hi all, im new to this forum as i just bought 02 audi a6 3.0 quattro with 85K miles. The CEL just came on and it says camshaft position sensor bank 2 on normal obdII reader that my buddy has(i've bought ebay vagcom cable and download the VCDS+ordering bentley manual). Im just wondering which part should i buy? the impulse sender, position sender, engine camshaft position sensor, or will it be reference mark sensor? I have also bought the rear brake pad as the current one is about to be out. Is there any specialty tools needed or is it just like normal brake pad change? Another thing, when i brake, the front driver side seems to lock and unlock the brake when it's close to a full stop. No ABS light is on, but the axle boot is torn, which put lots of oil/gunk. At first i suspect this nasty thing makes the sensor dirty and read improperly, but after i clean it up, it still do this thing (gonna change the axle this friday too), any idea on what might cause this? appreciate all the help

Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

If the code is camshaft position sensor then there is only one on bank two luckily thats the easy one to get to as its right on the front of the head facing the front of the car. It's the round cap with two 10mm bolts holding it on.

At 85k has your timing belt been done yet? if it hasnt I would waste no time in doing it I bought my car with 88k and my timing belt was about to fail it had cracks all the way across just a heads up. If your timing belt has been recently done and something wasnt lined up quite right it can kick a cel for cam position sensor also so knowing a little history on your car can help diagnose this issue.

As for the brakes my first guess since your not getting any abs lights would be that the grease from the axle has gotten on your brakes and is causing your grabbing issues. I would get everything cleaned up good and see if your problem goes away.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like this car is a handfull of projects .. why not fix all the things you can see first .. hey isn't the cam shaft sensor the same for both sides .. ? could he swap them over and see if the code moves ?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

the thing is i dunno whether the tb has been changed or not, should i open all the way to the timing belt cover to look at it, or should i just go ahead and buy the tb kit from blauparts? isnt that if the tb has slipped or skipped a tooth, the idle gonna be rough?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:51 PM
1st Gear

if your not sure change it .. visual inspection really tells you nothing .. it could look fine then snap a week or month later .. if in doubt swap it out ..

Old 09-23-2010, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by host23age
the thing is i dunno whether the tb has been changed or not, should i open all the way to the timing belt cover to look at it, or should i just go ahead and buy the tb kit from blauparts? isnt that if the tb has slipped or skipped a tooth, the idle gonna be rough?
Slightly off timing will not show rough idle. Anyways, rent the right tools from Blauparts as well. You will need to open up the valve covers to do the timing on 3.0. It is tricky but not impossible. Follow the instruction to the teeth.

It could be that the car had the timing belt replaced by someone who didn't know what he/she was doing. Cam shaft position sensor codes are usually (but not always) from a bad timing belt job.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input, as for know i havent driven the car for a week yet, while im waiting for my new sensor. Gonna change the sensor and see what happens with the CEL. Im gonna order the tb kit too next week. On the other hand, has anybody experienced the same brake problem like mine before?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

Ordered the Timing Belt Kit+Serpentine Belt+Tools+TIming belt hydraulic Tensioner today. Excited!!