Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Seal/Gaskets and Breather Hose

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:03 AM
1st Gear
Default Camshaft Seal/Gaskets and Breather Hose

Ok, so I replaced the half moon seals, cam tensioner seals, valve cover gaskets, and the spark plug gasket. Problem is, after I replaced them, I am still leaking. The most annoying leak is the one on the passenger side as the smoke burns and blows into the car. The way I did the half moon seals and the cam tensioner seals is by using the spring tensioner tool and sliding the old stuff out and the new stuff in. Alright, so now on to the fact that it is still leaking. What should I do next? Should I replace the Crankcase breather hose or should I completely take the cams out and replace all seals and gaskets again the correct/proper way? If I go with the second option, do I need to get the crank locking pin and the camshaft locking bar? I did the timing belt and water pump without any Audi tools and it wasn't that hard. Problem with doing the seals is pulling the camshafts completely out. Please advise as I am at a lost and do not want to keep replacing these dumb seals. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

it is possible/probable that you did not get a good seal when you put the new valve cover gaskets on. try again. make sure the mating surfaces are super clean. use some RTV or other high temp gasket sealant at the corners and bends. make sure to get the cover lined up perfectly and tighten down evenly.

if the crank case breather is clogged up you will be squeezing oil out through all your seals. can't hurt to check it.

good luck

Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

Well I am leaking through multiple seals. What I am wondering is if I replaced the Crank Breather Hose, will my leaks stop automatically or will I have to replace the seals and gaskets one more time?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

kind of depends on if the excess pressure is forcing oil out around the seal or has actually pushed the seal out of place. safest thing to do is change the breather hose AND replace the seals