Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Catalytic converter replacement

I'm up to 208k miles now and the left converter is rattling like mad. I think the right one is too. When I hit the right with a rubber mallet, the left rattles so bad its hard to tell if the right is actually rattling. I think it is though.

Anyway, I looked on ecstuning for replacement and $900-1100???? OMG
Is there a trusted aftermarket replacement?

Oh, and is this a hard job? Hard as in lowering transmission ect...?

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

Anyone have ideas on this?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

I do nto know where you are but when my '93 100S needed a new catalytic converter I purchased a rebuilt converter from Connecticut Catalytic for about $350. It failed at around 100k and the next owner was still driving the car at 200+k.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear

My cats were throwing codes at 197k so I replaced them with Billy Boats, with new Bosch O2 sensors. Still coded. Forum advice was to install O2 spacers which I did. They still code every 40-200 miles so I just carry my diagnostic reader and reset it periodically, although I am close to fixing permanently with a piece of black tape. Unless you are in an emissions state, just drive it. I have 214k now and it runs fine, and if I left the old cats on I would be $2500 ahead of the game.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Edo
1st Gear

I used a set from Rock Auto for my 02 with 130,000 (4.2) I was getting codes every 5- 150 miles. My son was using it for short trips so that did not help. I think these are made by Eastern. No issues so far. I had them installed and did not hear too much bitching. $350.00 ech plus $400.oo for install.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies. I am in alabama so I could gut them. I would need a How-To primer though.

At least 1 of the o2 sensors is shot. I hooked vagcom and pulled the codes but I don't remember what they were. The car is running really rough and my gas mileage is way low. It even dies sometimes when I slow down too fast. I have to ride the throttle to keep it going until it settles.

Really don't want to spend money on new cats. Id like to gut. What has to be done to the o2 sensors after they are gutted?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Edo
1st Gear

Mine were fine as they were not plugged. Either way you will have to deal with the post cat O2 sensors. I think someone makes a device to give the correct reading. I still get smogged, so I just put new ones on. Gutting them would be tough as they are in the middle.

Last edited by Edo; 02-24-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear

First you can try to add spark plug foulers. These are cheap (maybe 5 bucks per side) and should be easy to install. If you still get codes the next step up and a little bit more pricey would be foulers from this place:
O2 Simulator, mini catalytic Converter cel fix

Supposedly those will work but they do cost a lot more. I haven't tried it yet since I still need to install new O2 sensors after I had my Cats cut out and spark plug foulers added to my straight pipe replacement. Just like in the other thread once the weather gets nicer and I get the O2s replaced - I could update this thread and advise if those spark plug foulers work after removing the cats.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by soundguy
Thanks for the replies. I am in alabama so I could gut them. I would need a How-To primer though.

At least 1 of the o2 sensors is shot. I hooked vagcom and pulled the codes but I don't remember what they were. The car is running really rough and my gas mileage is way low. It even dies sometimes when I slow down too fast. I have to ride the throttle to keep it going until it settles.

Really don't want to spend money on new cats. Id like to gut. What has to be done to the o2 sensors after they are gutted?
As for the o2 sensors, remember... You have 4. If the front ones are bad, you need to replace them. They are actually used to adjust your mixture. If the rear ones are bad, then you can probably live with them. They are only there to check the performance of the catalytic converters.

Judging from the behavior of the car, I think one of your front sensors is bad. Maybe both...

If one of the front sensors is bad, then I would recommend that you replace both at the same time. 02 sensors should be considered maintenance items. They do go lazy after 100K miles or so.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Edo
1st Gear

Guys, do the foulers work by isolating the 02 sensor from the stream, thereby fooling it?

My cats were marginal and I hate to think that putting these in would have kept the CEL light off from low catalyst threshold. Would have been way less than the $1,000 I spent. But, If it comes up gain and I still have it, I would most certainly try them

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter replacement