Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 AM
1st Gear
Default changing alternator

i drive 99 a6 2.8q. was going to replace my alternator myself was just wondering if there was anything special i should know berfore attempting procedure, or is it the same as in any other car. i have changed two before in a caprice and a toyota and found it to be very simple, but not sure about audi's

Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: changing alternator

Your in for some fun. First remove the belly pan, then remove the serpintine belt,(you don't have to remove the entire belt,) You might be able to remove the alternator without putting the lock carrier in service position if your determined.
If not remove both front wheels, remove any bolts in the front fender well, remove the front grille inserts (over the fog lights) there should be a large allan bolt on each side of the car facing upwards behind the grille holding the bumper in. Remove the bolts and pull the bumper forwards, un-hook any electrical connectors and washer lines, then you should see three large green torx bolts on both sides of the car, remove one of these bolts and thread in one of the allan bolts you took out of the bumper, the same for the other side and remove the rest of the bolts. Then you should see two bolts on each side on the lock carrier black torx bolts, remove those and then remove the single bolts on each side below the headlights. You should be able to pull the front clip about 6-10 inches forward giving you access to the alternator.
Replace that bad boy!