Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Code question. (Cooling problem)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Default Climate Control Code question. (Cooling problem)

Hello all!

I have a 2000 A6 1.8T that im having some cooling problems with. When driving along I cant get my operating temp up to 90. Its jumping between 60-80 and most of the time laying dead on 60. So I tought I should check with the climate control, but cant figure out if I should use 26C or 51C? Whats the difference between this two?

Old 09-06-2009, 04:19 AM
1st Gear

My climate control isn't working correctly so I am interested in anything that could be said about them. But I do not think that is your problem.

Are you saying that the engine temp doesn't get up to normal temps?

(Google says "90 degrees Celsius = 194 degrees Fahrenheit" for us US types.... we should have changed to metric in the '70's like they planned. oh-well.)

Anyway, Is the car REALLY not warming up or is the gage not reading?

The "jumping" may indicate a bad connection, sender or even the gage itself.

A low but steady reading may indicate a bad thermostat (Stuck open or not closing all the way.)

Old 09-07-2009, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by m000035
My climate control isn't working correctly so I am interested in anything that could be said about them. But I do not think that is your problem.

Are you saying that the engine temp doesn't get up to normal temps?

(Google says "90 degrees Celsius = 194 degrees Fahrenheit" for us US types.... we should have changed to metric in the '70's like they planned. oh-well.)

Anyway, Is the car REALLY not warming up or is the gage not reading?

The "jumping" may indicate a bad connection, sender or even the gage itself.

A low but steady reading may indicate a bad thermostat (Stuck open or not closing all the way.)

Im not sure if the car gets varm or not. Thats what im trying to check with the climate control. But cant figure out if i should use c26 og c51 to check the temperature.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 AM

Bump..

Old 09-08-2009, 08:57 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Kristian_TT
Hello all!

I have a 2000 A6 1.8T that im having some cooling problems with. When driving along I cant get my operating temp up to 90. Its jumping between 60-80 and most of the time laying dead on 60. So I tought I should check with the climate control, but cant figure out if I should use 26C or 51C? Whats the difference between this two?
The difference between 26C and 51C = 25°C

On a serious note, there's a possibility that people didn't really understand your question, Kristian.
I personally have no idea what are you asking with the aformentioned values. What do they suppose to signify?
Concerning the fluctuation of the gauge, as Mike said it you may just need a new sender unit.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Im referring to these climate control codes.
http://www.wak-tt.com/tt/climatecontcodes.htm

Recording to that table the c26 and c51 is both showing the ECT temp. But on my A6 they show different values.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:26 AM
1st Gear

Kristian,

Thank you for posting that link. I had heard of a self test for the climate control but hadn't gotten that far down my list to go looking for it. I now have it bookmarked, I'll print it and try it out after I get a few other projects completed.

I still do not think your climate control can have anything to do with your operating temp. BUT if you are not getting the engine up to temp, there will not very much heat for your heater.

A quick look at the table:
26 Analog/Digital value, Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Warning Light
51 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) in deg C
I would use 51. Seems 26 isn't a reading, it looks like it is an on/off signal to turn on a warning light.

Last edited by m000035; 09-09-2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: added table and response
Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Fixed the problem after changing the temp sensor. And it looks like 26 gives the right reading in my A6.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
4th Gear

thermostat...

Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM
1st Gear

Finally tried the procedure found at this link:
http://www.wak-tt.com/tt/climatecontcodes.htm

I did get it to On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) mode. BUT none of the codes seems to match up. (on a 2000 A6 2.7t.) The closest was c26. Yes, it does seem to be coolant temp (in C) but the list has it as a signal to the warning light. The only other ones I have found: c18 is vehicle speed (in kph) and c19 is the engine speed (rpm x10). (These are not even close to the code list!) I haven't been able to figure anything else out.

SO... I still have my problem: My blower fan doesn't come on most of the time. Heating, cooling defrost... nah da. BUT every now and then.... max flow! I suspect a intermittent sensor. That is why I was so glad to see that OBD code list. Does anyone know where a OBD code list can be found for the climate control in the c5 A6? (Controller pn 4B0 820 043 K )

With the VAG-Com, my HVAC gets one code:
01273 - Fresh Air Blower (v2) 17-00 - Control Difference

Quick Reply: Climate Control Code question. (Cooling problem)