AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Clunk sound when I accelerate (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/clunk-sound-when-i-accelerate-178033/)

Dri2.7T 01-09-2012 02:43 AM

Clunk sound when I accelerate

Whats up I'm just curious to know if anyone has an idea of what this clunk sound is when I accelerate. it feels like is coming from the transmission but I do not know. Any ideas would be very helpful.

2004 Audi a6 2.7t s-line
Magnaflow exhaust , tints , 18" rs4 wheels

02A6Beau 01-09-2012 06:56 AM

could be the transmission

or not. it is impossible to diagnose a "clunk sound" on the internets

scan with vagcom? is it a clunk sound, or is it a clunk (something you can feel too)? where exactly does it seem to be coming from? front? back? underneath? at a corner? does it happen when you are turning? just going straight? going over bumps? at a "shift point"? just randomly?

budhani786 01-09-2012 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dri2.7T (Post 1357316)
Whats up I'm just curious to know if anyone has an idea of what this clunk sound is when I accelerate. it feels like is coming from the transmission but I do not know. Any ideas would be very helpful.

2004 Audi a6 2.7t s-line
Magnaflow exhaust , tints , 18" rs4 wheels

if you have not changed the fluid and filter do so now. its probably low on fluid. if you have a vagcom scan it for codes.

nm3210 01-09-2012 04:58 PM

Check driveshaft cv joints. I really doubt you're going to find any codes because any significant clunk* that produces a transmission (or engine) error code would generally mean your car will go into limp mode.

I had a repetitious clunking sound when I turned corners and accelerated. It was significantly worse when going up hill and this was because when applying increasing torque to CV joints they are increasingly more likely to slip. If your symptoms are similar get your center drive shaft looked at/fixed. I got a used one off ebay and had a local shop replace it and it's perfect no-clunk now.

*let me emphasis that it would have to be significant or repeating

Jeffla 01-10-2012 12:49 AM

Too many possibilities to diagnose remotely. Sometimes the drive shaft going to the rear has a bushing fail that causes a cluck under acceleration. But it might be only a problem with the Avants.

jmarshall098 01-10-2012 04:43 AM

I agree too. Its not possible to diagnose the clunk easily. There can be several reasons for this and you need to make sure first that the clunking is from the transmission only. A damaged throw out bearing could also be a reason for the clunk while accelerating. Yet I would suggest to closely diagnose the problem.

Dri2.7T 01-10-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by nm3210 (Post 1357418)
Check driveshaft cv joints. I really doubt you're going to find any codes because any significant clunk* that produces a transmission (or engine) error code would generally mean your car will go into limp mode.

I had a repetitious clunking sound when I turned corners and accelerated. It was significantly worse when going up hill and this was because when applying increasing torque to CV joints they are increasingly more likely to slip. If your symptoms are similar get your center drive shaft looked at/fixed. I got a used one off ebay and had a local shop replace it and it's perfect no-clunk now.

*let me emphasis that it would have to be significant or repeating

That sounds just like what happens, also if I'm going at a low speed then let go of the gas and accelerate again it happens, but mostly when I turn corners and accelerate.

zipnsplat 01-14-2012 07:23 PM

Check the snub mount (front engine mount). if it is sheared, then the engine can lift off the mount during acceleration and make a clunk sound when coming back down.

02A6 12-20-2014 09:29 PM

2003 A6 non Quat 3.0 Clunk and front engine lift when accelerates

Hello, I have a 03 A6 and just purchased it today, noticed when I accelerate from zero, I get a clunk in the front and the front of the engine lifts up each time. Can you diagnose please?

02A6 12-20-2014 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by zipnsplat (Post 1358570)
Check the snub mount (front engine mount). if it is sheared, then the engine can lift off the mount during acceleration and make a clunk sound when coming back down.

Is this a normal issue? I think this may have happened to mine. How do I check? and if it is could you approx the cost to repair or can I do it myself?