Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch woes contininue...who has DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Clutch woes contininue...who has DIY?

My on again off again clutch problems continue. Doesn't make any sense that it only slips once and never again but I need to take the trans out to determine the real issue.

Who here has actually done it themselves?

What is the big hold up in removing?

I have a hoist in my garage but I need to pick up a trans hoist...

I don't want to pull it part and I plan on calling the shop that did the original clutch install 15K ago. I really am thinking its not the clutch itself but a PP or TO.

I have a 4 day weekend coming up...and its going to be cool here in Michigan perfect time to work in the garage. I'll also have a competent helper for 2 of those days.

I'd put in the hybrid RS4 clutch unless thats overkill. Its not a track car, its a DD. I don't want to put a stocker in since I'll be near 370-380 ft lbs with the downpipes.

Any special tools needed? I have a square drives and that, plenty of extensions...anything to make the job easier?

I hear a bunch of stuff needs to come out,do the turbo's need to move? I kicked around loosening the manifolds and prying the entire turbo assembly to the sides to get the trans out, not sure if it would work or not.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:25 PM

Eric,

Just did mine. I probably have over 18 hours in it, and that includes both front CV boots.

You won't need any special tools. The only tool I had to modify was an 8mm allen wrench to get the backward-facing lower tranny bolts out. I bent it from 90-degrees to around 140-degrees so that I could clear the sub frame. A couple long extensions with wobbly ends will be your biggest ally.

Get used to wrenching by braille; there are many bolts coming out and going back in that you simply can't see. If you don't already have one yet, get a Bentley.

I went with the OEM replacement Luk clutch. Got it off an ebay store for around $220.

http://stores.ebay.com/Shozone

Best deal I could find anywhere.

You won't have to mess with the turbos, but it will take some time. Be prepared to be VERY patient. I've worked on a lot of foreign and domestic vehicles (all of which were my own...I am not by any means a real mechanic), and relatively speaking, working on an audi is more like working on a @#$^ing clock.

Having the hoist will be nice- I did mine on jack stands.

I'm having a problem with my abs/ esp lights staying on, and I think that's due to removing the axles. I may have damage a wheel sensor, so be careful around the brake calipers. I've posted separately, and hopefully will get some feedback from some of the smarter guys.

Good luck, and PM me if you need any help.

-pat

Old 08-31-2008, 02:31 PM
1st Gear

I got the Bentley in the mail and started working on it.

Not that tough but if something doesn't work in the first minute I start making a tool.

I bought 2 cheap 17's for the exhaust, welded one to a pipe and torched the other one to bend and fit between the bolt and the firewall.

Its time consuming but not anything so far that is out of the ordinary. I'm waiting for a buddy to come by and we'll drop the trans itself.

Its not a super simple job and yes there was a lot of time involved but with the right tools its going smoothly. I got the top trans bolts from the top which made the job way way easier.

I learned a long time ago, spend the money on the tools...in the end it saves you time.

Went with with Vast's RS4 Hybrid...I wanted to add a manual boost controller and I keeping the boost up between shifts might not work too well on a stock clutch.

Last edited by Eric_C; 08-31-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:08 PM

A couple things that tripped me up, and that the Bentley doesn't address....

I couldn't pull the pilot bearing from the front side. Tried and tried, but much quicker just to pull the flywheel and press it out from the back.

I read an article that said to have a helper make sure there is no wiring caught between the tranny and engine when you're putting it back together. I did it myself and didn't have any problems because I took my time and was careful.

If you pull your axles all the way out and don't label them right and left (like I did), the shorter one goes back on the left side. The axles should have parts labels on them. The one ending in the odd number is the shorter (left side) one.

-pat

Old 08-31-2008, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

I got a new pilot bearing and fly wheel...and did not realize that the half shafts were different. I left mine in the car sitting on the cradle.