Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comments regarding my newly acquired 06' A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Comments regarding my newly acquired 06' A6

After driving Mercedes S classes for the last 16+ years (420SEL & S500), and BMW prior to that, I opted to look for a mid-size sedan. I test drove the E-class, 5-series, and the Audi A6 CVT, and the latter was a clear winner. I found a Certified 2006 one owner A6 still under factory warranty with 32k miles on it. I do like the car with one major concern. The car has a constant (slight) vibration that I feel in the steering wheel, pedals and the seat. Sometimes at a stop with a warm engine, it oscillates . After driving it for 3 weeks it annoyed me enough to take it in to the dealer for service. They called me and asked that I go on a test drive with the mechanic since they could not duplicate what I was speaking of. So off we went and as soon as I pointed it out the tech said "Oh, that's the CVT, that's how they run".

I must say that it is annoying as hell, and when I initially pointed it out to the sales rep he commented that I am going from a luxury sedan with a 5.0 liter to a 3.2 mid-size and that it would never be as smooth. I do really enjoy the car otherwise, but this vibration issue makes me want to trade it back in for a different car, but I will give it a few more weeks. My only other irritant being the fact that a $50k luxury sedan has a trip computer as an option, and the original owner decided not to get it. It probably costs them more to keep that software driven option out of that car !

I still think it is one of the nicest looking cars in its class and I rarely see A6’s on the roads in Houston where every 10th car is Merc or a Beamer. I look forward to participating on this forum as I had been active in the Benz forum for years.

If you have any comments or suggestion regarding the vibration, I would love to hear it as I would hate to get rid of a car that I like otherwise.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:09 AM
2nd Gear

The CVT has reportedly been problematic. By the way the 06 CVT car was only $40K when new, not $50K, and you should probably hold it to a different standard than an S class. Take a look at the A8 if you want to do a better comparison to the S class.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

I was afraid that I was going to hear that the vibration is a standard "feature" of the CVT. You are right about the price, I was checking out the new A6's which were running about 50k. I really like the A8's if were in the market for a full-sized sedan.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 PM
2nd Gear

The new CVT starts at $43K. The tranny should stil be better, but as a front wheel drive car it is not really meant to compete with more expensive luxury performance sedans.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Look at a quattro version - does not use the cvt trans - if it's that big a deal.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome to Audi -- you certainly have had some high end cars. As you can guess, a 6-cyl is not going to run as smoothly as an 8 or 12. I don't know much about the CVT transmission other than I would never want one. I prefer the MT6 although they are becoming harder to get in the luxury sport series of vehicles. I admit to my A6 having a very slight vibration at idle, but after 100+k miles of driving I don't notice it anymore.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM
2nd Gear

I guess the vibration at idle maybe the CVT but the vibration under your seat and feet at speed maybe due to rear wheels (flat spot, bent, not balanced well, not round tire...) I would first try to get the rear wheels balanced and have them look for rim/tire issues.
Steering wheel would be front end...

Maybe try to rotate rear wheels to front and fromt to rear and see if vibration changes.

or are you all saying the CVT causes this type of vibration all the time??

Old 07-10-2009, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

All the time as soon as it is placed in gear and especially when idling. Not noticeable at higher speeds. They gave me an A4 Quattro as a loaner which was very smooth.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mb2audi
They gave me an A4 Quattro as a loaner which was very smooth.
Maybe its time to downgrade? :P

Old 07-10-2009, 08:36 PM
3rd Gear

I don't know what you paid for that 2006 CVT (and judging by the shared information probably you're not even considering downgrading or going more "frugal" regarding your engine power), but you can get a brand new 2009 A4 6-speed + Quattro for $ 32,775, includes heated leather seats.
It has a hell of a torque 258 ft-lb for a 211 hp engine.
The downside - 4 inline cylinders
The upside - great gas mileage; lots of power; easier to work on; same prestige, looks, and elegance.

The A3 (200 hp) is around $ 5k less, but it doesn't come in the the AWD-6speed combo.
I apologize if my comments are out of place or sub-standard considering you stepped down from a 5L engine and look into a "full-size" sedan.

Quick Reply: Comments regarding my newly acquired 06' A6