Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common to lose oil at the oil filler cap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Common to lose oil at the oil filler cap?

I've noticed that I lose oil from the oil filler cap area. I've ordered a new oil filler cap and gasket and was wondering if anyone has the same problem.
I noticed this originally when I changed out my valve cover gaskets but I figured the oily residue was because of the busted VC gasket.
When I was in there the other day looking for vacuum leaks I noticed the beauty cover under the filler cap was dirty and moist from oil.

Is this only a 2.8 problem????

Old 07-05-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Common to lose oil at the oil filler cap?

could possibly be a problem with your PCV system and somehow you're not ventilating enough pressure so it's blowing through the cap, but i kinda doubt it as i'm just speculating. i'm def not tech certified, so i'm not too positive, but it's a possibility. hopefully just getting the new cap will fix it for you.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Site Moderator

There should be a large black rubber gasket between the cap and the valve cover on a 2.8L, if its missing you WILL have a pretty good leak. The PCV system being cloggedshouldn't build up enough pressure to leak out the oil cap.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

Yes, i do have the gasket between the valve cover and the cap. I ordered a new one of those to replace as well. But if I still have a leak then where should I look?
I change my suction pump along with the breather hose about 7 - 8 months ago. Is the suction pump the PCV valve? If not where is the PCV valve and what does it look like?