AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Considering imminent purchase 2001 A6 2.8 - grateful for fast knowledgable advice (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/considering-imminent-purchase-2001-a6-2-8-grateful-fast-knowledgable-advice-224630/)

daddyo2 04-27-2017 03:33 PM

Considering imminent purchase 2001 A6 2.8 - grateful for fast knowledgable advice

Hi, so my neighbor is a somewhat whacko but really skilled mechanic (one of a few local gas-station mechanics in a small rich town). Bought my last car from him under similar circumstances.

Considering buying 2001 a6 with replaced engine n tranny. The story (which I largely believe) is that this is a rich kid's he's known for 20 years car and he was in love with it - threw 50k into it to maintain and fix since new. Big thick stack of service records, which to my mechanic neighbor proves it's well kept up, but to me shows a minefield of costly fixes going forward?

It is cheap and I did a short test drive - going to have next-town over mechanic put it on a hoist for quick and dirty once over, but if this costs me a couple grand to own for a year or two I am good with it. Need wheels asap since my jeep died and I want 4wd so i can be the single dad that picks up the kids regardless of the weather lol.

Not sure what i am looking for, but examples include - what to look at in service records/receipts, what to have mechanic look at in quick once-over inspection, etc.

I'm not terribly worried about emissions - the bronx is not far away and stickers can be found. Something's obviously at issue - it's 700 bucks - while seller won't say much "as is - anything could go, etc", he claims if i dont buy it he is keeping it for himself under the theory "if it lasts me a few years - good extra for when his kids visit, etc.". Frankly I'd be happy with that. Also, he sold me a similar car 3 years ago and I sense I kinda get him - if i had to guess, there are some sensor issues or emissions stuff, but he said, and I tend to believe this "the drive train is rock solid" - lovingly maintained (pretty decent shape - esp interior).

Visually the car is well-kept - leather interior has a driver seat and armrest tear/abrasion but new or newish rubber, and only one minor dent and one small rust-spot. It supposedly has kick-ass sound system requiring code, which mechanic had - interestingly he called former owner with me there - and the guy sounded like a dude that loved the car, explaining in detail he needs to consult written instructions and program radio code right or be somehow locked out. Sounded like businessman and supposedly replaced this old belloved audi with a maserati since he got a new girlfriend

Thoughts?

KHedges 04-28-2017 04:26 AM

If this is a mechanic you trust, I'd say go for it! One of my two favorite mechanics worked out of a Chevron in Orange County back when I had my first car, which I bought from another mechanic who fixed it up when the previous owner wanted something nicer.

These VW/Audi cars will run forever if they're maintained, and I'd say "keeping up with the maintenance" is why it has so many records. If you're willing to put some money into it to keep it going, it seems like a good deal. Do you know how many miles are on the new engine? Is it likely to need a new timing belt? That would make me want to sell a car cheap and "as-is" and I think that may have happened to the previous owner of my Passat.

I just got an Audi A6 2.8L wagon to replace a VW Passat 2.8L wagon that a friend of a friend bought from a mechanic. Unfortunately, the mechanic who sold him the Passat was a lying cheating jerk. I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say that if they had shown me the records, the lack of receipts for a timing belt/water pump, PCV system, and more would've shown that it had a LOT of deferred maintenance and probably wasn't the mechanic's son's car. It did well on the items AAA Car Care checks for in the 1-hour evaluation, and passed smog in California with flying colors... but when we took off the timing belt cover after the water pump seized, it was a mess inside. I'm hoping much isn't wrong with the new one, which was $400 + fees at auction with a check engine light.

The main thing I would worry about with an East Coast car is that 2001 is pretty old for a car driven in snow with salted roads. My 1999 Audi and 2000 Passat were fine underneath because they were California cars. I have read in the forums that the computer and a bunch of important stuff live in the space between the floor of the passenger compartment and the exterior shell, so rust there could be a real problem.

Good luck whether you decide to pass or buy!

daddyo2 04-28-2017 07:14 PM

So now it's $1,000 .... may grab it / update

A few times now he has had another buyer who left deposit, and the guy keeps coming back to him late with a few bucks. $1,000 and it's mine. So friggn need a ride and the above advice re: lovingly maintained seems to apply here. told me new engine either 40-55 k miles dont remember exactly can confirm - guy bought it with warranty. there is paper - totaling i am told 55k in repairs.

God help me i think im just buying it. Price aint going down .... This guy really would sell his mother for 5$ but knows my kids are riding too. Idunno, pig in a poke, but id be done and its next door.

How long are the engine belts you mentioned good for?

daddyo2 04-28-2017 09:33 PM

Update - joined the A6 gang

So he got his grand - the other buyer likely a ploy to get a grand, which I now think may have been a sweetheart deal. Love this car and everything seems to work as intended. cept squishyish brakes... reeally nice styereo and climate control. just drives.... well. I know this one's gonna hurt me but gd happy right now - good to join ya!

daddyo2 05-06-2017 10:28 AM

Update Daddyo2's new 2000 A6 - few questions

Okay, I will literally cry when this thing breaks. A week in, all we have is smooth solid luxurycar performance. Starting to appreciate the prior owner's back-story and reality of this car of mine.

Literally everything works with no glitches (possibly one back-door lock but i may have child lock on idk). New Michelins in the rain on highway was rock solid - caught myself doing 70 like it was 35. Suspension seems tight - thudded over some shitty highway but assume thats just Audi.

Some small surface rust - possibly dollar-bill sections near nose and smaller few on/around doors - looking on youtube and headed to auto store to get advice on screwing around with it over weekend a little, looks like some external molding strip should come off door - read its taped on?? Just pull?

Troubling observations: Brakes seem a bit spongy, not as in wont stop the car at all, they work fine but if anything seems a little off its that. New alternator in trunk, seller tells me prior owner stranded at auto-store and bought it - somehow Im supposedly able to return it with receipt in my sheaf of maintenance records. May return it - or should I hold it in case??

Seems car getting a bit harder to turn over with time, a week at this point. All ive done is look at the gauge and saw it was in middle consistently - 12:00 position, and it keeps starting up, but I wonder if I should do something (maybe battery old? Idk - seemed to work and still works.

Oh, no engine lights or anything, except for immediately on startup - that is normal? looks like all the lights go on for a second when key turns? Going to keep an eye on this - just noticed it a few times?

So prior owner inherited 25 mm bucks + and worked as an environmental activist full time. All broken little stuff (not much - couple cup-holder facias) was in the glove box.

Pleeeease keep working Audi!! ps: i HAVE BEEN GASSING WITH PREMIUM. is that super important or unnecessary / wasteful? Prolly 50-60k on replaced engine and tranny.

doroth 05-07-2017 12:34 PM

Hello! You might want to consider the idea of leasing.. I have an A4 2017 leased and I enjoy now my car. I leased it from DSR Leasing https://dsrleasing.com/ and one friend of mine recommended this dealer to me because they have amazing deals!

Pablo3 05-07-2017 01:15 PM

You might want to have your battery load tested, if that passes then have the charging system checked.

On my car, the voltmeter shows approximately 14 volts. The twelve o'clock position indicates 12 volts. If the battery is fine, it may not be charging correctly.

I am running premium fuel, that is what is recommended in the owner's manual.

Hope this helps!