Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant / water sensor Q's

Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 PM
1st Gear
Default coolant / water sensor Q's

hello all, 98 a6 quattro 2.8 30v

my son is now driving my wifes abused leftover a6 from it's life as a real estate shuttle and now it seems everything is going at once.

I've personally just replaced the drive axle, upper controll arms and tie rod ends (among other things) and it all seems like childs play with this latest issue of electronic meltdown.

temp gauge going right to last line after a few miles. this morning, while cold, the warning temp light came on and flashed. car had no anti-freeze left when he came home today and swears it actully never overheated. I've read all the posts on temp sensors and thermostats and it sounds like both. who thought of burrying the thermo in the friggin engine? the sensor was a PITA to get at & never mind the clips that went into oblivion.
I'v looked online and have found the exact sensor (blue 4 pin lug type with o ring) but they are calling it the "water sensor" . is there another sensor that would casue a faulty read
ie: car is overheating while cold ;or is that it?
It seems that the local box auto parts stores only carry the two pin screw in type unless that is what I need to replace too, if so i have not found that one.
all comments welcome! Thanks!!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 PM
4th Gear

I think you got it.. Temp sensor.... and no, there's only one. Not like Ford with two

edit: sorry.. hit enter too quick....

Ok, as for the 'warning when cold' - are you sure that wasn't the 'low level' light? You said it was low on coolant... Fill that tank up, warm the engine good and shut it down. This should build up enough pressure to look around for leaks. The reservoir tank would be the first place to look. I just had mine crack.

Last edited by Midniteoyl; 06-05-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM
1st Gear
Default coolant type

yea u were right it was the coolant level light. took out and cleaned the sensor and that seems to work (until the new one shows up) to turn on the electric fan when the temp gauge goes around half. I'm now wondering about the coolant itself. I know my son just put in "off the shelf" coolant after a clamp blew off and spewed most of the reserve.
does audi use a special coolant that you have to buy as I've seen it mentioned a couple of times in the threads, guess I never thought about it. I've also noticed that the main fan doesn't move if u put pressure on it while the belt is turning (running engine). is that how the fan clutch is supposed to work??? thanks....
doing the thermo seems like a pissa ; have u done yours?
origional timing belt, water punp etc.....165k guess we have been lucky with this one as it runs perfect except overheating problem.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM
4th Gear

If its 'mixes with all types of coolant' coolant, you should be ok till you figure out your leak/heating problem. Then you can use Zerex G05 or Peak Global, I wouldnt use DexCool, though you can use that too. Of course, theres always Audi G12.

That fan wont engage until the 'clutch' gets hot.. if its original though, I would change it out.

I havent done my thermostat, but then when I looked, it seems it was already done before I bought it. At 165k I would seriously think about changing out the TB, WP, Thermostat, and related pulleys. This is an 'interference' engine which means when it does, the valves will hit the pistons. I haven't changed it on my Intrepid yet at 193k miles but then its a non-interference engine so when it goes, it just stops.. no damage.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Coolant mix

yea, I checked the jug earlier and was a "mixes with all coolant colors and for all types of cars" from napa. I'm sure the thermo is stuck closed as I've owned foreign cars all my life and have replaced a dozen of them. the quick heat up is an almost dead give a way to that end. it seems stupid to put a $20 part that causes an undrivable condition behind all the bs, guess I'll start pulling off the front end and do it all at once.........just went out and bought my son a 98 isuzu rodeo with 125k on it in great shape for $3400 so the audi is going to get fixed and be put on craigslist. All and all it's been a great car as we've put almost a 100k on it with not much else than oil change's and the suspenson work I just did.
bmw's, saab's & audi's I must be crazy.
did the clutch on my daughters saab last year. that was a blast lowering the engine and dropping the tranny.......

Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 PM
4th Gear

Got any pics? Where ya at? How much you thinking?