Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cv boot ripped...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:25 PM
ReX
1st Gear
Default cv boot ripped...

ok so i went in for a 50k service today to my
audi dealer. about half an hour later, the guy comes to me and
says that the cv boot is ripped and it will be
$1179 to change it... [:@]
i just need some advice on what to do...
your thoughts and comments will be
appreciated...

Old 11-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Default RE: cv boot ripped...

Find an independent shop and they will charge you around 600 just replace the whole axle.

Jason

Old 11-11-2006, 11:42 AM

ReX.

Good morning, my friend! Incidentally I had almost the very same scenario last week. My '01 A6 2.7t is 'new' to me with approx. 87K. I went to have a tie rods inspection done, and (coincidentally?) the fellow tells me that my Left Front CV boot is ripped and needs to be replaced. I always wonder, one of two things to be true: 1) either CV boot materials suck, and they 'rip/tear' easily, or 2) someone gives the CV boot a "little encouragement", if you know what I mean. But, whatever, that's my opinion.

I completely agree with Mac_17 recommendation, the Audi dealerships inflate the repair costs on this almost double! My indie guys did it for a couple hundred bucks (a little discount b/c I was getting the tie rods replaced in the same stop). Point being: find an indie!

cheers,
ZW

Old 11-11-2006, 02:09 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, never get your service completed at the stealership. Always go to a certified independent shop. I would rather give my money to a smaller business that deserves it too. Try to find a local Audi club to find a reputable place. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:12 PM
3rd Gear

Here is your local Audi Club of America chapter -

Audi Club Chicago Chapter

I'm a member here in Kansas City and if you join the club, you usually get 10% off at the local shops and at the stealer. They should have a local yahoo group or something as well and that is a good way to find a good shop.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:00 AM

Are you F-ing kidding me???? I was pissed off when I had to pay $200 a side, even my corrupt useless paul miller only wanted $270 a side.

It is a very common problem, they just dry rot in the folds after a few years and have to be replaced. www.autohausaz.com has them for really cheap if you want to do them yourself.

Andy

2001 A6 2.7t 6 spd

Mods? No I didn't paint my calipers. No, I didn't add any crap to the engine. No, I just drive the car.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

You should be lucky you don't have an Allroad.... because of the air ride you can adjust the ride height... if you are constantly going up and down it wears out the boots that much quicker... I have become an expert on changing them. My A6 are looking rotted and I am waiting for them to go as well. I keep a supply of boot kits on hand, the second they rip I pop them off and install a new boot and grease for less than $25 and I am off to the races again.... You need to look for the tattle tail sign of grease all over you wheel and inner fenderwell.

Hmmm.... $25 or over $1000.... I know what I am going to do every time. It pays to attempt some things yourself....

Old 11-12-2006, 01:01 PM

not that difficult to change lots of info on the net with pictures

Old 11-12-2006, 01:03 PM

if your using it for offroad you might want to consider putting shields on them as the rally peeps do

Old 11-13-2006, 05:53 AM
1st Gear

First of all, that dealership is raping you anyways. First check if the cv boot torn is recent. Try your best to see if the grease is fresh. If its still fresh, you just need to replace the cv boot. 99% a car comes in with a cv boot torn at my dealer, we just do the boot. Our dealer only charges total with parts and labor estimately about $300 to $400. If you have the tools to do it, its pretty easy. Hopefully this helps and good luck.

Quick Reply: cv boot ripped...