AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Dashboard Clusted display (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/dashboard-clusted-display-22706/)

Danielm 01-08-2006 03:50 PM

Dashboard Clusted display

The Cluster display in my 1999 a6 Q whent bad, is hard to read what the computer is telling and if I used select speed mode I have to kind of guess in that gear I am running, I have been told that is a common issue in Audis and that I shuold get a complete dashboard and replaced, around two hours work mechanic time.
I am surprice that nobody in this forum has the same problems, I know of two other Audi owner with the same issue.
Is there a solution for this? any comments that can help?
Thanks

AudiTech04 01-08-2006 04:30 PM

RE: Dashboard Clusted display

ORIGINAL: Danielm

The Cluster display in my 1999 a6 Q whent bad, is hard to read what the computer is telling and if I used select speed mode I have to kind of guess in that gear I am running, I have been told that is a common issue in Audis and that I shuold get a complete dashboard and replaced, around two hours work mechanic time.
I am surprice that nobody in this forum has the same problems, I know of two other Audi owner with the same issue.
Is there a solution for this? any comments that can help?
Thanks

Yeah right, everybody has this problem the only fix is a new cluster

cnelson81 01-08-2006 11:34 PM

really is it that much of a problem? are there any tell tale signs of it going to happen?

ecartoys 01-09-2006 05:15 PM

Ok. Hopefully we are not opening a can of worms here. We have had good luck reparing VDO cluster from BMWs regarding missing pixels and we would be happy to take a look at one if someone would send us their defective cluster for us to try.

eCarToys

AudiTech04 01-09-2006 09:12 PM

The Audi clusters are also VDO so if you can fix the BMW ones i dont see why you couldnt fix these

Danielm 01-12-2006 09:26 PM

What would you think will take to fix one? and how long?

studiomusic 01-13-2006 11:00 PM

I had a BMW 750il that had that problem. All it took was to re-heat some solder on a few joints to fix. I'll have to try it out on my A6 as I am having the same problem.

Danielm 01-14-2006 03:52 PM

Keep it post it, so I can try the same, can't believe that the only solution is to replace it, a friend of mine who is an electronic guy told me he should be able to fix it as well, pitty just move out of hte country.

ecartoys 01-14-2006 05:35 PM

Yep. What we do is take the cluster apart and resolder all the solder joints. That will fix 90% of the clusters. We will also replace the LCD ribbon if the ribbon is damaged/defective.

kupiec79 01-16-2006 01:07 AM

I have same problem with mine cars.
The one in A6 usually works ok but when is clod outside its missing few lines. In TT never works good.

How much cost to fix it?