AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Dealership messed up and broke my A6. What lasting damage to worry about? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/dealership-messed-up-broke-my-a6-what-lasting-damage-worry-about-228862/)

bornloopy 09-01-2018 07:53 AM

Dealership messed up and broke my A6. What lasting damage to worry about?

Took my 2014 Audi A6 TDI Prestige for an oil change at 39000 miles on 8/30. Took 1.5 hr for them to do this. Drove home (36 miles away) no problems.
Next day on 8/31 while driving to work (32 miles away) 7 miles in, I encountered an alert saying “Oil: Add maximum 1 qt. You may continue driving”. I know little about car mechanics but thought this was odd and proceeded to drive to work. At 28 miles in my commute an emergent alert suddenly showed up “battery alternator connector fault” and the air conditioning stopped being cold, the engine RPM sky rocketed to 3000. VERY FORTUNATELY i was 1 mile away from the dealership during this time so I pulled into their service area while the car flashed another emergent warning that the engine was overheating.

I was absolutely livid, dealership takes a look, admits that the oil seal thing was not tightly screwed back in place from the oil change they did which caused it to come loose fall out leak oil all ocer the engine whcih then caused the serpentine belt to fall off. They claim they will clean everything up and replace the serpentine belt for free.

Ok so me not knowing anything about car mechanics i am looking for help on what to expect. Will there be permanent wear and tear damage on the car I need to worry about? Will something else fail down the line due to this that the dealership should replace now?? Does engine oil corrode anything like pumps or hoses under the hood? Thank you

europeancarguy 09-03-2018 03:42 PM

I have heard before that oil rots rubber. but every engine at some point and time in its life will have oil on rubber parts like hoses and so on and its not the end of the world. From what you said the main thing id be concerned with is did the engine over heat to an extreme and how much oil did it lose total. obviously engine could suffer if it was ran with extremely low oil level but if it really only lost a qt total should be okay there and the over heating part sounds like it had just started over heating as you got to the dealership so that should be okay as well. If the engine was lower then a qt or so for any decent amount of time that could lead to premature engine failure. I doubt the dealership would be real forth coming about how much oil was really lost though. Say they tightened the oil filter and went to top off the oil and they realized it was several qts low i kinda doubt they would admit your engine had just been running on only a qt or 2 of oil cause then they would be liable for buying you a new engine. I have worked on cars that the oil filter was not tightened all the way and it only dripped a little oil here and there over a long period of time but on the other hand i have seen in some cases that a filter left loose enough could cause almost all the engine oil to spray out in less then a minute leaving the oil pan darn near bone dry. As far as over heating the main thing there is gaskets can fail prematurely after over heating and aluminum parts such as cylinder heads and intake manifolds can warp very easily from over heating. If everything happened they way you said i dont think the amount of oil lose or the short period of over heating will be a huge deal later down the road but the things mentioned above would be results if things were worse then im guessing they were.