Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definitive information on installing 20's.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Definitive information on installing 20's.

ok... there has been lots of debate whether or not 20's will fit on an A6. I've installed them, so now there is someone who will let you know the "real goods".

Yes, they will fit. But I have a 4.2, which has the different fenders. So keep that in mind.

I purchased wheels with a 35mm offset. My tires are 255/35/20's. I will admit that the tire shop did not want to install these due to rubbing, and warned of potential problems with that issue. So I ended up bolting them to the car myself.

I would recommend going with 255/30/20's, or a narrower width. I do indeed experience a little rubbing on sharp turns, or heavy dips in the road, and that should solve the problem. Additionally, going with a 30 profile will help keep the car from looking slightly "jacked". (My car rides .7 inches higher off the ground than stock.)

Now, there are a couple of modifications to note. First, the front may require a spacer to clear the caliper. I can't tell you what size, because rims are all made a little differently on the spoke shape. Personally, I went with a 5mm or 7mm. (Can't remember.) Keep in mind that the larger your spacer, the further out your wheel will sit. This will effect the fender, and will also make the wheel rub more when turned heavily. I would not suggest using a larger spacer unless the tire was something like a 235 width maybe.

The second issue (which I expect potential flaming for), is that I had to grind away part of the strut tower. This was easy to do with a metal grinder, and I do not personally believe that it effects the structural integrity of the strut. There is a metal "nub" that stucks out at the top of the tower, just before the tower bends over the wheel to attach to the link. There does not appear to by any grand use for this nub. It does not support the tower in any way, from the looks of it. I've been riding on my 20's for a month now, without incident.

So there you have it folks. Yes, you can install 20's if you have a 4.2. Maybe even if you don't. Ultimately, if I were to do it all over again I would strongly consider buying 19's, with a 255/35 tire. That should eliminate any of the rubbing issues I've experenced.

Take a gander at my pictures attached to my profile to see what it looks like.

Cheers.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Definitive information on installing 20's.

Just remember your speedo is now off by 4-5 mph

Old 06-09-2007, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

I like the wheels. they do look slightly big, i would stay with 19'sbut to each his own. they do set it off. thanks for the info.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:07 AM
1st Gear

I have to say it looks a little too "Allroadish" to me. Even if it is only .7 inches, it just appears to sit up there, and the wheels don't look like they fit into the arches. I don't think I would want to deal with any rubbing issues, especially when these cars look so good on 19s and even 18s. The fact you stated that if you were to do it again you would consider 19s says it all for me, but you are obviously happy with what you have and I won't chastise you for it.

At the end of the day the only person you have to please is you, and if you have obtained the look you were shooting for then by all means have at it. I must say I do like your choice of wheel style though - it works well with the A6 and probably even more so with the silver.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I figured that the fact it drives a little higher isn't for everyone. And that, combined with minor rubbing issues makes me think that 19's might be a better choice. Or at least a 30 profile tire, which is REALLY thin.

Personally, I don't think they look too big.... except for the raised height issue. I find that the lines of the car actually make the wheels look smaller than they are in the first place, so the 20's look like the size I would have wanted the car to come with in the first place. Like you said though - each to their own.

The style I chose is basically your standard "M3" style luxury european sport sedan design. I was originally looking for a chrome wheel that had less and thicker spokes, but price swayed me in this direction instead. I'm not unhappy with my choice. The price ended up being less than $1000US for all 4 tires AND rims, which is pretty good.

And for the record, the speedo is actually off by 11%. But that tends to be the allowable speed you can go over without the cops caring too much, so it's kind of a built in "speeding calculator" of sorts. Problem is, I still tend to drive to what the speedometer says, so I'm more or less speeding all the time. I don't think the speedo being off is going to fly with the cops as an excuse.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

wow... you chose to put 20's on yours? ...why? I bought my Audi with 20's and cannot wait to get them off.
It sits way up high...the wheels rub on hard corners and on some dips the performance isnt all that great.
You should of read up on the posts before you spend all that mula. But i guess to each his own.
I will be takin my 20's and replacing them with 18's or 19's.. Its not so much the rubbing that gets to me
But its the height of the car ..... WAY too high..

Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

I like the style of the wheels but WOW what a risk. I know what I have to go through with 19's on my car. My wheels are 19"X 8.5" with Continental Contact Sport II 235/35. I am lucky that with my ADR's, they fit perfectly without the use of a spacer to clear my calipers.

Good Luck!

OOOO

Old 06-11-2007, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear

While I would stay away from anything larger than 18s, I think it looks good. My concern is the rubbing. All it may take is one unexpected rough bump and your fenders willflare even more. I had a jeep with 36" tires and it took two lift kits before it stopped rubbing while offroad. The first hint was when I had the single kit and went over a large bump...and my frontfenders were permanently moved two inches up and out.

As time goes on, keep us posted on whether you have any troubles with rubbing or the thin tires.

Gotta love a silver A6!

Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Take those off, they look awful!!! If you wanted to put 20's on something, go buy a truck!!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: EnviedA6

Take those off, they look awful!!! If you wanted to put 20's on something, go buy a truck!!
Opinions vary. He obviously likes it so let him be. There are a lot worse things someone could do to an A6. How about underbody neons, windsheild washer LEDs, aricer style adjustable wing from K-mart, or (dare I say it) dual grapefruit shooter exhaust pipes?

At least his 20's are still tasteful. They may not be to everyone's pleasing, but if we all liked the same things life sure would be boring....and only one guy would ever be happily married.

Quick Reply: Definitive information on installing 20's.